Style Versace in verdant surrounds
Setting In a quiet country town
The brainchild of Loungelover London co-founder Marchella De Angelis, Cotswolds88 Hotel is a temple to Italian design. The name may be straightforward, but that’s all that is. Gloriously over-the-top touches such as PVC-backed chairs and chrome mannequins vie for attention with the hotel’s own Palladian backdrop, and the result is a space that’s luxurious and super-stylish, with a cheeky sense of humour.
Need to know
- Rooms 17, including three suites.
Double rooms from $234.52 (£150), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£150) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, laundry service, king-size beds with Frette bed linen, LCD flatscreen TVs, DVD players on request, DVD library, iPod docks and Molton Brown bath products. Some rooms have Jacuzzi baths.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Kids are welcome, though the hotel isn't particularly geared towards them. Cots are available on request.
- Also Leave the hamsters at home. Pets are not allowed. The hotel has a treatment room for all kinds of facials, manicures and men's grooming. The set Valentine's menu served on 14 February costs £65 each and is the only option available.
Food and drink at Cotswolds88 Hotel
Chef Lee Scott – who previously shared a kitchen with Gordon Ramsay – heads up the Juniper Restaurant & Bar (restaurant closed Mondays and Tuesdays), serving up delicious Cotswolds produce with French flair. Food is available all day, from kippers, French toast and dippy eggs at breakfast to ham-hock tortelloni or lemon sole in brown shrimp beurre noisette for dinner. Save room for the cheese tray. The decor is as bold as in the rest of the hotel, and a camera in the kitchen transmits to the restaurant so you can see what the chefs are up to.
- Dress code You may be in the country, but this is no place for tweeds. Dress to impress.
- Top table For an intimate meal, pick the window table facing the courtyard. Nab a spot on the terrace for cocktails in summer.
- Last orders The restaurant closes at 9.30pm Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday, and 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays; it's closed all day on Mondays and Tuesdays. The bar will stay open for as long as residents require.
- Room service Breakfast can be in bed each morning, and there's an in-room menu to pick from at certain times of the day.
The Juniper bar is a stylish intimate space in which you can sip drinks to an eclectic and well-chosen soundtrack of chill-out tunes. It gets busy on Saturdays, but there's always space on the terrace or out on the lawns. Try a Purple Forest: an homage to the black forest gâteaux in liquid form.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Cotswolds88 Hotel Kemps Lane, Painswick, Cotswolds, GL6 6YB
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Cotswolds88 Hotel
A 10 per cent discount on a beauty treatment
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We love the six Detmar rooms – named after the famous 20th-century architect – with their vivid red accent colours and playful atmosphere. We particularly liked the giant lip prints on the wall.
Bring some sharp Italian tailoring to fit in with the Versace-esque vibe; and don't forget your GPS – you'll need it to find the hotel amid Painswick’s winding lanes.
It might be worth hiring a small car for this trip. The Georgian streets that surround Cotswolds88 Hotel are no friend to larger vehicles.