Coqui Coqui Tulum
Style Riffing on Mayan ruins
Setting Beachfront Boca Paila
Surrounded by jungle and sea, Coqui Coqui Tulum hotel combines rusticity with relaxation: a formula that keeps A-listers and in-the-know civilians coming back for more. With a design as emblematic as the nearby ruins of Tulum, this cream-coloured beachfront stay has an ocean-inspired spa, breezy bedrooms and views of the shimmering Caribbean.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven, including three suites.
Double rooms from $210.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($210) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude à la carte breakfast (US$12–US$20).
- Facilities Spa, mini boutique selling the owners’ range of perfumes and accessories, free WiFi in communal areas. In rooms: beach bag and Coqui Coqui Perfumes bath products.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible, subject to availability and a fee (US$60). Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children This relaxed resort is better suited to adults. However, cots and beds can be added to rooms for a charge of US$60. Babysitting can be organised with a days’ notice for US$20 an hour. Baby-listening devices and batteries are available at reception.
- Also Smokers can light up in the outdoor areas of the hotel. Canine companions are welcome in the ground-floor rooms.
Food and drink at Coqui Coqui Tulum
Casual and cosy, Coqui Coqui Caféteria's diminutive kitchen serves up simple breakfasts and Mexican fare such as ceviche and fish tacos. The restaurant has four small indoor tables and two tables outside on the verandah; four daybeds are also available for horizontal coffee sipping and snacking.
- Dress code Pair white linen and ethnic prints with floppy straw hats. Mrs Smith: let bikini strings peek out of colourful halter dresses. Flip-flops and sandals will get the most wear here; accessorize with a sun-blocking parasol provided by the hotel.
- Top table If you're looking to relax over a mid-day bite, grab one of the tables on the verandah. The morning sun is usually too strong to enjoy breakfast outdoors.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 8am to 11am; lunch is from 11am to 7pm; dinner is available on request. Order cocktails from 7pm to 11pm.
- Room service No room service, but you can stop by the café and order snacks until 11pm daily.
There’s no designated bar but you can toast happy hour with a fresh-fruit margarita at sunset on the patio.
Coqui Coqui Tulum Carretera Tulum Ruinas Boca Paila, KM 7.5, Boca Paila, Tulum , Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, CP77780
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Coqui Coqui Tulum
A gift from the hotel's on-site perfumery and a botanical bath in the spa
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We fell for the romantic Master Beach Suite, perched above the lobby. It’s possibly the breeziest of the bunch, with windows at both ends of the room. The white linen-clad four-poster surveys the sea, and there’s a cosy balcony with two chairs. Room Three, a Partial Sea View Room on the second floor of the back building, is also a winner: open-plan layout, ocean vistas, and a lower price tag than rooms in the main building. Both the hand-molded bathtubs are big enough for two; keep your mouth clamped shut when showering or you’ll get a glug of seawater. A note for the modest, only curtains separate the bathroom from the rest of the room.
Forget your bulky straw tote and use the beach bag left in each room. Keen to catch some waves? Bring along your boogie board.
Visit the spa and try one of the aromatic treatments. We like the three-hour Ocean Bath Ritual: a tranquil treatment that starts with an aromatherapy foot soak followed by a Mayan clay wrap, massage, and candle-lit coconut- and bath-salt-infused bath. Don’t fret about sourcing bottled water during your stay; the hotel has an in-house filtration system.