Château de la Couronne
Style Modern-day fairy tale
Setting Pretty Charente parkland
Perched on the border of the Dordogne region, on the edge of the peaceful, working village of Marthon, child-friendly Château de la Couronne blends its 16th-century heritage with its owners’ contemporary-interiors know-how. In addition to whispers of 60s and 70s design savvy in its suites, the witty and urbane property features a private cinema, five acres of polished parkland, and three kick-back-and-relax salons. It's perfect for parties of up to 26, as its main focus is exclusive use.
Need to know
- Rooms Five suites (nine if you take the entire château, to sleep up to 26 guests).
Double rooms from $2502.43 (€1,869), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€1,869) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast. Rent the château in its entirety, including daily housekeeping, for €3,500 a week, or €2,200 a night. Catering is available.
- Facilities Cinema/billiards room with guitars, keyboards and amps for guests’ use, games room with table tennis, DVD and CD library, free WiFi in the Piano Salon. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD, fully stocked fridge.
- Poolside The large heated pool is surrounded by five acres of manicured, Louis XVI-style gardens, with plenty of sun-soaking space on the tiled terrace.
- Check-out 11am, or later, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children There are plenty of activities, both indoor and outdoor, for young ones, including pool and tennis. Cots are available free, and extra beds can be provided for €40 each a night. More...
- Also Massages, manicures and pedicures may be booked. Château guests are free to use Marthon’s village tennis club facilities, and rackets are available to borrow.
Food and drink at Château de la Couronne
There’s no restaurant, but Château de la Couronne can prepare a dinner for 10 or more, if requested in advance; catering is available for exclusive-use bookings. A fine buffet breakfast is served in the high-ceilinged réfectoire.
- Dress code Catwalk-casual (Nicky, the owner, is a former Topshop bigwig, so dress to impress).
- Top table Nurse a cognac on the green leather chesterfield in the lovely Stone Salon.
- Last orders Drinks are available round the clock.
- Room service Nope, but you can help yourself to a glass of Bordeaux from the honesty bar.
There’s an extremely well-stocked honesty bar in the Stone Salon. You can also kick back with a glass of local wine in front of the original open fireplace in the Seventies-feel White Salon or in the Piano Salon, by the bay window overlooking the gardens.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Château de la Couronne Château de la Couronne, 16380 Marthon
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Château de la Couronne
A bottle of champagne
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Ring your mates and get a group together; just make sure you've earmarked your favourite room first! We were seduced by Suite 4, which has a vast double-tubbed bathroom and natural-stone walls snaked with exposed copper piping. It’s one of the château’s biggest suites, with modern iron and glass furniture, lime-green cushions, and a toe-enveloping fluffy black carpet. Suites 1, 2 and 5 have turrets; the latter also has twin corner baths with a coloured-glass mosaic between them.
A frisbee, for flinging around the extensive green gardens. The château’s also popular as a film set, so bring along your camcorder and make your own movie magic.
The hotel’s cinema space features a 2.5-metre widescreen, and the musically minded will be kept entertained by acoustic guitars, drums, a keyboard and amps to play with in the piano salon.