Style Elegant, affluent
Setting Midtown west
Just when you thought you'd seen most urban design tricks, this modernist midtown Manhattan boutique hotel pulls a few surprises out of the bag: concrete in the bathroom, unplastered ceiling and exposed pipes for the fire sprinkler and a desk befitting a graphic designer (pot of sharp coloured pencils and a roll of tracing paper to doodle on). In contrast, the furnishings at Chambers are cosy, with a palette of soft aubergine, gentle lime green and muted taupe. Heavy suede curtains block out the outside. Industrial lamps match the concrete ceiling for contemporary edge, but underfloor heating means that cool urban look never gets chilly.
Need to know
- Rooms 77 rooms: 44 standard rooms, 16 deluxe rooms, 12 studios, one studio suite and four one-bedroom suites.
Double rooms from $295.00, excluding tax at 14.75 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $3.50 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($295) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates are seasonal and vary weekday to weekend.
- Facilities CD/DVD with big library, wall-mounted 42-inch plasma screen in suites. Frette bathrobes, Red Flower products. Passes to nearby fitness centre, in-room yoga instruction and massage, personal trainer, personal shopper, concierge, valet parking.
- Check-out Check-in is 3pm, check-out 12 noon. Some flexibility on request, according to availability.
- Children Children are welcome; nanny services, free cribs and cots, plus games and DVDs are available. No connecting rooms.
- Also Small dogs permitted (25lb and under), with a waiver to sign on check-in in case of not-so-little accidents.
Food and drink at Chambers
- Hotel restaurant Sit in the warm peachy glow of Má Pêche, Chambers' new restaurant, and sample the French-Vietnamese fusion food – dishes include squid salad with peanuts, mussels with crab paste and beer, and pork ribs with lemongrass caramel. At the moment, the restaurant only serves breakfast and lunch, along with a takeaway lunch and bar menu. Sweet-tooths should pick up an in-room treat from Momofuku Milk Bar – try the cereal milk, marshmallow cookies or calorific pies.
- Dress code Rock-star casual cool.
- Top table Grab a place at the giant communal table and make some new friends.
- Last orders Má Pêche is open for breakfast from 7am to 11am, for lunch from 11.30am to 2.30pm. The bar menu is available between 11.30am and 11pm.
- Room service There's a full restaurant menu available during kitchen opening hours.
- Hotel bar The bar area in Má Pêche serves up elegant cocktails and stays open until 12am.
Chambers 15 West 56th Street, New York 10019
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Chambers
A complimentary cocktail on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Deluxe rooms face onto 56th Street, with lots of light and floor-to-ceiling windows. The Studio Suite is on the 15th floor, with a deep tub in a big bathroom. The 900-square-foot Duplex Suite has a vast terrace with walnut floors and a wow of a view.
A warm coat and snow boots in winter.