Casona de Quintana
Style Curated country house
Setting Silent Soba valley
Casona de Quintana hotel in Cantabria is a secluded valley stay with artfully placed antiques, charming hosts and verdant mountain views. Idle sorts will enjoy the slow pace of rural life, city fans can head to Bilbao and activity enthusiasts can birdwatch, cave walk or hike the hilly trails.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight, including one suite.
Double rooms from $114.24 (€89), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€89) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€10).
- Facilities Gardens, shop and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV with a built-in DVD player, CD player and Pure Harvest or Lauren Hutton bath products.
- Children Welcome, but the trinkets and antiques may not be toddler-proof.
- Also Buy a little bit of the owners’ chic French style in the hotel shop, selling beautiful pieces for your home, white blouses and candles, as well as preserves.
Food and drink at Casona de Quintana
Co-owner Nuria heads up the kitchen, where she uses only local produce to make hearty dishes that are gracefully presented. The dining room has an airy feel thanks to high ceilings and whitewashed Provençal furniture. Elegant, feminine touches include a French dresser and a cabinet of porcelain.
- Dress code You'll feel as though you're staying with friends or family – no need to dress up for dinner.
- Top table Admire the lush valley views alongside one of the windows.
Upstairs in the cosy living room of this country-house hotel is a bar with board games in the corner and a fireplace. When it's quiet, it's run as an honesty bar, though during busier months, the room will be staffed.
Casona de Quintana C/ Sitio del Castillo, 1, Quintana de Soba, Cantabria, 39806
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Casona de Quintana
A bottle of room fragrance by Amelie et Melanie
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each room is styled with a particular ambience in mind (regal, rustic, etc) – our vote goes to the romantic Junior Suite El Castano for its feminine French feel, with whitewashed furniture, drapes over the bed and grey and white antiques. Contemporary-cool hunters will like the modern El Roble (a Junior Suite), especially its all-slate bathroom. Splash out on the Tower Suite to see how the old wooden beams were used to create an impressive centerpiece in the bedroom.
The hotel may be close to the Bay of Biscay, but the misty mountains can get muggy – wellies and a brolly may come in handy.
Pillows are big business around here: each room has a menu with options for various feather preferences.