Style Sophisticated beach house
Setting Subtropical island idyll
Blending in with the landscape in bleached wood and glass, Capella Lodge on tropical Lord Howe Island offers Dr No-ish views over jagged mountains, turquoise lagoons, breath-taking coral reefs and an ever-changing seascape flat out to the horizon. Perfect for exploring this natural paradise, packed with rare birds, flora and fauna.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine suites.
Double rooms from $1149.73 (AU$1,182), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (AU$1,182) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast, soft drinks, sunset apéritifs and canapés, three-course dinner with matching wines, and airport transfers.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, DVD, CD and book library, board games, Jacuzzi, day spa, gardens. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, Bose music system (with MP3 input), signature Capella Spa toiletries, minibar.
- Poolside There's an outdoor unheated pool with an infinity edge for making the most of island views.
- Check-out 10.30am. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Kids aged six and over are welcome at the lodge (age 12 and over at the Lidgbird Pavilion). More...
- Also The hotel provides free bikes for getting around, or hire a buggy for the day (a buggy is included in Lidgbird Pavilion rates; pre-book the other one).
Food and drink at Capella Lodge
- Hotel restaurant The open-plan Capella Restaurant has a laid-back yet luxurious coastal look, with dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows for stellar skylines. Fans of modern Pacific cuisine will enjoy chef Phil Woolaston’s daily-changing offerings, including locally caught fish, house-made pasta, boutique farmed meats and island-grown tropical fruit and veg. Lunch costs extra, and the lodge can also supply picnic and barbecue packs, for AU$18 and AU$30 a person respectively.
- Dress code Sophisticated neutrals – why compete with the view?
- Top table New arrivals are always placed at tables 1, 2 or 3 by the window on their first day, and guests are then rotated so that everyone gets a ringside seat. The fab landscape is still visible from most tables though.
- Last orders The bar is open from noon till 7pm; dinner is served 6.30pm–9.30pm.
- Room service Not available as Capella offers a traditional lodge experience where guests come together to dine, but between the restaurant and bar you should be well catered for.
- Hotel bar The Capella Bar boasts a good selection of boutique wines and great espressos. Complimentary sunset cocktails and canapés are served daily on Gower’s Terrace, where you can soak up breathtaking views from chic loungers; or relax on ample banquettes in the Kentia Lounge, with blissed-out beats as a backing track.
Capella Lodge Lagoon Road, Lord Howe Island, New South Wales 2898
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Capella Lodge
A gourmet picnic or barbecue lunch for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We’re partial to Room 2, a Lagoon Loft with stunning views – enjoy them from the comfy bed on the mezzanine. If you want to push the boat out, the recently revamped flagship Lidgbird Pavilion now has a second level with wraparound verandas, a plunge pool and outdoor stone bath under the frangipani trees, and offers private dining as well as its own free bar. Bathrooms feature sexy dark basalt stone, baths and rain showers.
Underwater camera, bird-spotting manual, hiking boots and a sketch book if you're an arty type.
Pamper yourself at the intimate Capella Spa, which uses Aboriginal LI’TYA products in its dreamy treatments. Lagoon kayaks and snorkelling gear are available for exploring the island’s marine ecosystem. Picnic tables and wood-fired barbecues dot scenic spots nearby, too, if you’d rather stay dry.
From the Guestbook…
I'm convinced Capella was best at everything on the island.Have you considered adding Saffire Lodge ( Freycinet) in Tasmania to your hotel list?Martinamore