Style Understated elegance
Setting Magnificent Mayfair
Proudly perched at one of the most desirable addresses in Mayfair since its Victorian heyday, Brown’s Hotel has undergone a renovation at the hands of Olga Polizzi that’s blended fresh colours, mosaic floors, and antique furnishings with the hotel’s historic wooden panelling, gilt mirrors and stained glass. Its ageless good looks, combined with the jazzy glamour of the Donovan Bar and a moving, shaking guest list, have made it one of London’s must-stays.
Need to know
- Rooms 117, including 29 suites.
Double rooms from $498.94 (£329), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£329) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (£20 each for Continental, £27 for full English).
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, DVD selection, valet parking (£50 a day), WiFi in all public areas (£15 for 24 hours). In rooms: flatscreen TV, minibar. Suites have DVD/CD players, iPod docks and Penhaglion toiletries. Deluxe Rooms and above have rain showers.
- Check-out Midday, though later check-out can be arranged for a fee.
- Children Are welcome at the hotel. Extra beds can be put into rooms for a £50 charge (+VAT), and cots are free. Babysitting (£16.50 an hour plus a £17 booking fee), cots, baths, bottle-warmers and high chairs are available on request.
- Also No pets, but guide dogs are welcome.
Food and drink at Brown's Hotel
HIX Mayfair (formerly the Albermarle) serves brushed-up Brit classics (scrumpy-fried oysters with dittander mayonnaise) amongst Tracy Emin’s neon sculptures, traditional crisp linen-covered tables and oak panelled walls. Ingredients are seasonal – picked from local vendors by chef Lee Streeton – weekend brunch is offered and a carving masterclass (with Mark Hix, no less) teaches a savvier way to serve. Afternoon tea in the English Tea Room is widely renowned.
- Dress code There’s no dress code as such, but the smartly dressed staff and your well turned-out fellow diners might make you want to think about your outfit.
- Top table The fireside table is perfect for large parties and a great spot to eye up the artwork; or choose a window seat to watch Mayfair bustle as you tuck into your Dover sole.
- Last orders Dinner is served between 5.30pm and 11pm; the bar keeps its shakers a-quiver until 1am (midnight on Sunday).
- Room service A wide-ranging menu of meals and snacks is available 24 hours a day.
The Bill Amberg-designed Donovan Bar is a buzzy hangout for both well-heeled guests and glitterati, who pour from Mayfair’s galleries and publishing houses to enjoy an intimate, convivial atmosphere and a live jazz soundtrack.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Brown's Hotel Albemarle Street, London, W1S 4BP
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Brown's Hotel
A NuBo spa gift, a Hix Fix cocktail in the bar, late check-out until 2pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday; members booking suites will also get a bottle of Ruinart NV champagne
Current offers at Brown's Hotel
Offers at Brown's Hotel
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Staying in the Kipling Suite – where Rudyard honeymooned with his wife more than 100 years ago, and penned much of his work – is an irresistibly glamorous experience. Alternatively, our favourite Executive Room is number 126, which offers a linen-upholstered bedhead facing an enormous mirror. The sculpted relief in the ensuite bathroom and the vases of fresh orchids make it all the more special.
Bring your best threads. Browsing nearby Bond Street’s boutiques or dipping into the nut selection in the Donovan Bar loses some of its cachet if you’re just wearing your tracksuit.
Book a Classic Suite or above and you and your other Smith will be able to bask away in twin baths, with TVs at the end of each tub.
From the Guestbook…
Bob Bob Ricard (http://www.bobbobricard.com/) is an absolute must! Its like stepping back in time in there. The interior is nothing short of fabulous; it feels like you are in an A...more