Style Old-fashioned opulence
Setting Burnt orange woodland
Grand old Blantyre just outside Lenox in Massachusetts is a countryside remnant from the gilded turn of the last century. Ivy-clad and elegant, from the outside it looks like a mash-up of an English manor and Scottish castle. Inside, it’s all roaring fires, antique accessories and cheese fondue whenever you want it.
Need to know
- Rooms 23, including eight suites.
Double rooms from $600.00, excluding tax at 11.7 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional resort fee of 18% per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($600) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast and champagne, cheese and fruit on arrival.
- Facilities Tennis courts, ice-skating, croquet, snow-shoeing, billiards room, cross-country skiing, 220-acre grounds, spa, gym, CD/DVD/book library and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, bottled water and Kiehl’s products.
- Poolside There’s a heated pool outside by the Carriage House and spa.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible if there’s availability. Earliest check-in, 12pm (or whenever you arrive if the room’s ready).
- Children Over-12s only, unless you’re hiring out the whole property, in which case all ages are welcome and cots will be supplied free. Extra beds are US$100 a night. Babysitting with hotel staff can be requested at any time for US$25 an hour.
- Also The Potting Shed spa has a greenhouse with a hot tub, wood-burning fireplace, steam room and sauna – as well as a list of tempting treatments.
Food and drink at Blantyre
- Hotel restaurant The top-notch dining room is regal and romantic, with pink tablecloths, oriental rugs and burnished wood furnishings. In the evenings, dinner is quiet, candlelit and intimate. The French-American menu changes with each season, but keep your eyes peeled for caramelised diver-caught scallops from Maine, rack of lamb with morels, and châteaubriand for two. The chef also creates a five-course tasting menu, accompanied by various wines from the global collection. Picnic hampers can be packed up for you to take on a ramble around the estate.
- Dress code Bordering on black tie (jackets for men, and something equally elegant for women).
- Top table Have the hotel set up breakfast or dinner by the fireplace in your bedroom.
- Last orders Formal eating hours are: breakfast, 7.30am–10.30am; lunch, 12.30pm–1.45pm; dinner, 5.30pm–8.30pm, but food can be brought to you wherever you are at any time (look out for snow barbecues in the winter).
- Room service Selected snacks, hot food and platters are available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar The bar is more of a drinks trolley, set up in the Main Hall so guests can order a drink and then pick a seat here, in the Music Room or out on the covered terrace. Things pick up when the pianist gets tinkling from 6.30pm.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Blantyre 16 Blantyre Road, Lenox, Berkshires, Massachusetts 01240
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Blantyre
Spa treatment of choice
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For full old-world exposure, make sure you book one of the eight rooms in the main house. We especially like the Crimson Suite’s palatial four-poster, dressing room with a vanity table lined with antique silver accessories, wood-burning fireplace, huge bath tub and spacious terrace. Second place goes to the Laurel Suite, which has parquet floors, a palette of pinks, creams and yellows, and overlooks the gardens at the back of the house.
Don’t forget your finery for evening meals; leave your snow boots behind – the hotel has some you can borrow.
Blantyre has chilly weather covered: snuggle up in the Warming Hut to play pool, watch TV or settle into an armchair. There’s also a hot chocolate menu, and the option of cheese fondue, which can be served any time anywhere in the grounds.