Style Moated mediaeval retreat
Setting Scenic Sussex
Glide up the gravel drive to Amberley Castle, and you'll feel suitably period-drama as you arrive at the main gates and portcullis. Even if when it comes to hotel interiors, you can't help but line up on the side of modernist edict 'less is more', you will be appeased by the historical Sussex setting, good taste of the furnishings and incredible South Downs grounds.
Need to know
- Rooms 19 including six suites.
Double rooms from $248.16 (£163), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£163) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates are room only. Two-night minimum stay at weekends.
- Facilities Twelve acres of grounds, including an 18-hole putting course, tennis courts and a croquet lawn. Free WiFi, TVs, DVD/Blu-ray players and L’Occitane toiletries.
- Check-out 11am; check-in time is 3pm but flexible on request, subject to availability.
- Children Over-12s welcome.
- Also No pets, but assistance dogs are welcome.
Food and drink at Amberley Castle
The restaurant is spread across two main dining halls – the Great Room and the Queen’s Room. This antique eatery, decked out with lancet windows and suits of armour, has a tantalising menu of traditional British fare devised by the award-winning Robby Jenks – the sirloin pomme anna with shallot puree is not to be missed. The Great Room and two additional, more intimate dining rooms, can be exclusively hired for a private fit-for-a-king feast.
- Dress code No denim, even at lunchtime; smart casual in the lounge and jacket or tie for dinner. Leave mobiles in your room.
- Top table In the window alcove surrounded by fine tapestry and stoic suits of armour.
- Last orders You can dine in until 10pm and drinks are served until 11pm. The price for a lunch menu starts at £27.50 and is served between 12pm and 2pm, and a two-course a la carte dinner is £55, severed between 7pm and 10pm.
- Room service Simple meals and snacks are available from 11am to 10pm.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Amberley Castle Amberley Castle, West Sussex, BN18 9LT
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Amberley Castle
A bottle of house wine on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Try and stay in the main body of the castle. Amberley has a sumptuous bed, his ’n’ hers bathrooms and a window-seat looking over the courtyard. Pevensey is intimate and has its own private door leading to the castle battlements.
Camera, book of ghost stories, tennis racket.
From the Guestbook…
We've been to the George & Dragon in Burpham, near Arundel, a number of times over the years, but not rec...more