Style Verdant hillside village
Setting Sweet valley high
A winding mile from the village below, the hilltop boutique resort of Alila Ubud owes its inspiration to traditional Balinese village life. 14 two-storey wood-and-stone-made blocks house just 56 room. Each one offers panoramic views of the valley below, the River Ayung that runs through it and the ring of volcanoes surrounding the hotel.
Need to know
- Rooms 64, including eight villas.
Double rooms from $195.00, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($195) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, library, TV lounge, WiFi in lobby and restaurant, boutique, art gallery, sculpture garden, free shuttle to Ubud. In rooms: iPod sound system (in Deluxe rooms and Villas), minibar.
- Poolside The pool at Alila Ubud has a global reputation, and no wonder: it’s a watery sliver of infinity that seems to overhang the valley plunging beneath it. Secure your lounger early – it can get busy surprisingly quickly.
- Check-out Midday, later check-out can be arranged if the room is still available.
- Children Alila is more orientated towards couples seeking seclusion.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
Food and drink at Alila Ubud
- Hotel restaurant Beneath a thatched, coconut-palm-pillared canopy, open-air restaurant Plantation cooks up a combination on health-conscious cuisine naturelle, Western and Balinese dishes – all locally sourced where possible.
- Dress code Freestyle chic.
- Top table Arrange to eat in a private bale – you can have a tailor-made seven-course dinner served with lashings of romance.
- Last orders Plantation closes at 10.30pm, as does the bar.
- Room service You can arrange in-room dining around the clock.
- Hotel bar The chilled-out Cabana Lounge overlooks the pool and offers soaring valley views; at night, you can sip sundowners while watching the candles floating on the pool’s surface.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Alila Ubud Desa Melinggih Kelod, Payangan, Bali, 80572
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Alila Ubud
Balinese massage for two
Current offers at Alila Ubud
Offers at Alila Ubud
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Ayung River Villas have wrap-around decking perched over the gorge, making them ideal for honeymooners wanting a breathtaking backdrop, as well as huge bath tubs sunk into lotus ponds. The Deluxe Rooms on the ground floor have outdoor showers.
If you plan on trekking or cycling – the area’s perfect for both – then some suitably sporty shoes are essential. The Alila Living Boutique sells appropriately floaty tai chi/yoga gear.
Alila Ubud’s spa is one of it’s biggest assets: the massages are out of this world, and all products are made bespoke from natural, local ingredients. Mountain bikes are freely available to borrow and offer a great way of exploring the forest.