- Switzerland’s sunniest resort
- Country Life
- Parties and off-piste
The warm sun-soaked slopes of Verbier make for the perfect year-round resort and the nightlife in this part of the Swiss Alps is pretty hot stuff, too.
In winter the resort draws in the powder hounds attracted by some of the best off-piste skiing in Europe; don’t feel obliged to limit yourself to the 250 miles of spectacular ski runs. After you’ve spent the day making fresh tracks in the deep snow you can enjoy some of the best après-ski bars and clubs in the mountains. The party continues through the summer too; Verbier is ideal for canyoning, mountain biking and hiking amid the pristine Alpine scenery.
- Call May Taxi (+41 (0)27 771 7771) or Taxi Rosset (+41 (0)27 771 1266).
- Tipping culture
- A service charge is included in menu prices but it’s customary to round up the bill or to tip five or ten per cent; whichever is greater.
- Siesta and fiesta
- Verbier is famed for its après-ski; the party can be pretty raucous at Pub Mont-Fort. If you hanker for something a little more sleek and sophisticated then the Farm Club and Coco Club are suitably swish.
- Fondues are delicious, often made from a combination of local Bagnes and Orsières cheese. There are meat, vegetable and simple bread varieties but we love the wild Alpine mushroom fondues the best. The local smoked pork and cured ham shouldn’t be missed and the region’s Cervelat sausages are fabulous. Rösti are local Swiss potato cakes that are often combined with bacon, onion or herbs and topped off with an egg.
- Regional specialities
- Swiss raclette is slightly different from its French counterpart but equally irresistible (after all, it was the Swiss who invented it). The Valais region is also famed for its air-dried beef. There are some excellent Swiss wines of which the fruity Fendant is the best known white; comparatively little is exported as the Swiss like to keep it for themselves.
- Swiss Franc.
- Time zone
- GMT +1.
- Dialling codes
- Country code for Switzerland: +41. Verbier: (0)27.
- Do go/don't go
- Verbier is a year-round resort so it’s a good option of summer holidays, too. It also claims to be Switzerland’s sunniest resort and in all the time we’ve spent there the sun has shone.