Style Refined Florentine palazzo
Setting Bucolic Berkshires hilltop
A late-19th century mansion perched on a grand, green knoll in Massachusetts’ beautiful Berkshire Hills, Wheatleigh blends the ornate grandeur of a 16th-century Florentine palazzo with every modern comfort you’d expect, including fine French dining, lush landscaped grounds, antique furnishings (check out the Tiffany stained glass) and a gallery-load of contemporary art.
Need to know
- Rooms 19.
Double rooms from AU$753.49 ($715), excluding tax at 6.25 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional room tax of 9.7% per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($715) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include service but not breakfast.
- Facilities In-room spa treatments, shiatsu massage room, gym, tennis court, DVD/CD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: Bang & Olufsen flatscreen TV and DVD player, Bose CD sound system, Emernegildo Zegna toiletries. Junior Suites have open fireplaces.
- Poolside The Wheatleigh’s heated outdoor pool is an enticing circle of blue set in a tree-lined clearing. Staff are on hand to bring you drinks and snacks.
- Check-out Midday.
- Children Baby cots are available free and sitters are US$25 an hour, but the Wheatleigh is largely a grown-up retreat.
- Also There’s a two-night minimum stay on weekends and a three-night minimum in July, August and on public holidays. You may bring along pets on request.
Food and drink at Wheatleigh
- Hotel restaurant Lavishly decorated with antique mirrors, crystal-dripping candelabra and a marble fireplace, the Dining Room offers a contemporary takes on classic French dishes. The Library, lined with china cabinets, has a more informal atmosphere.
- Dress code Up to the nines for the Dining Room (you can stop around the sevens in the Library).
- Top table Beside the window in the Dining room, so you can look out onto the lawns.
- Last orders Dinner’s served between 5.30pm and 9pm, lunch between noon and 2pm.
- Room service Sandwiches, salads and soups are available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Lined with wooden cabinets (displaying fine china rather than the expected books) the Library has a full bar service, though you can enjoy a drink anywhere in the hotel – bagsy a balcony table in summer.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Wheatleigh 11 Hawthorne Road, Berkshires, MA 01240
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Wheatleigh
Lunch for two on one day of your stay
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Aviary’s the grandest pad (and, yes, it used to be a birdhouse), with two floors joined by a circular staircase encased in glass and a private terrace – where you can have take private meals – overlooking the lush green grounds. At the other end of the scale (and the budget), the adorably chic Small Room, (voted one of the world’s most luxurious), which has an air of a ship’s cabin about it.
A jumper’s a sensible option in the evenings – the Berkshires can be chilly, even in summer. Heidi Klein swimwear is de rigueur for a dip in the pool.
The hotel’s location in the Berkshire hills means that rural diversions such as golf, horse riding, biking, fishing, hot-air ballooning and, in winter, skiing can all be arranged via the Wheatleigh’s concierge.