Wanakarn Beach Resort & Spa
Style Unpolished luxury
Setting Far-flung patch of Phang Nga
Toting a duo of deserted beaches, Phang Nga boutique hotel Wanakarn Beach Resort & Spa gives the castaway experience an ultra-luxe shake-up. The cool, kick-your-shoes-off vibe is bolstered by liberal doses of imported indulgences, from champagne and truffles to covetable Italian toiletries.
Need to know
- Rooms 15 suites, including one two-bedroom Ocean Villa.
Double rooms from AU$584.44 (THB16,864), excluding tax at 18 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (THB16,864) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include à la carte breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, steam room, sauna, gym, tennis court, mountain bikes, kayaks, gardens, boutique, library of books, DVDs and CDs, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: Jacuzzi, espresso machine, Voss water, flatscreen TV, DVD/CD players, private pools.
- Poolside The 38-metre-long swimming pool is one cool drink of water. Swim a few laps, kick back on a sunlounger, splash in the Jacuzzi, then paddle up to the bar for a pomelo caipiroska. Repeat as necessary.
- Check-out Midday; check-in, 2pm. Late check-out is available for a half-day's rate up to 6pm, and a full night's rate beyond that.
- Children This is more of an adults' retreat – leave the kids at home.
- Also Slip into the Sukko Spa for Thai massages and exotic therapies. Smoking is allowed in the hotel grounds, but pets aren't permitted.
Food and drink at Wanakarn Beach Resort & Spa
At fine-dining restaurant Twin Waters, chef Ratchaneeporn Dapachutisan shrugs off food miles in favour of sourcing the world's finest produce, including truffles, European cheeses, Japanese wagyu and lamb from New Zealand. He isn't afraid to mix things up, either, fusing Thai, French and Italian flavours in dishes such as roast duck with lychees and tri-colore rice, or steamed snow fish with black truffles and a curry reduction.
- Dress code Simply throw a kaftan over your swimsuit at lunch, but keep it smart after dark: linen for the gents, bejewelled sandals for the gals.
- Top table For a romantic dinner for two, dine on the secluded Sunset Terrace, or order a seafood barbecue to be cooked on the pool deck back at your villa.
- Last orders Breakfast kicks off at 7am and the kitchen calls it quits on dinner at 11pm.
- Room service There's a limited room service menu available from 7am to 1am.
The drinking forecast at Wanakarn is wet, wet, wet. Sippers are spoilt for choice, with a host of bars. Order a frozen mango daiquiri at Twin Waters, a breezy semi-open space that's filled with chilled tunes by day, live jazz by night. Swill while you swim at the Pool Bar, sip champagne as the sun goes down on the Sunset Terrace, or relax with a whisky in the laid-back Lobby Lounge.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Wanakarn Beach Resort & Spa 48/2 Moo 3, Baan Pordang, Thaimuang Beach, Phang Nga, 82120
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Wanakarn Beach Resort & Spa
Afternoon tea with petits fours for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Ideal for the indecisive, the Pool Villas are all identical, with rich red wood floors, bolts of Thai silk and plush, oversized beds. Outdoors, there's a sun-deck, plunge pool and waterfall shower. Nab one of the villas set back from the bar for added privacy. If you're travelling with a troop, book the beachfront Grand Ocean Villa, two standalone suites that share a living room, kitchen and huge infinity pool.
Tropic wonders – kaftans and floaty dresses for her, cotton shorts and cool shirts for him.
Wanakarn is blessed with two beaches – a calm riverside cove and a deserted stretch along the Andaman Sea. A zippy Zodiac boat ferries splashers to the ocean beach, but if you fancy excursions offshore, charter the hotel's yacht for day trips or overnight stays.