The Grosvenor Shaftesbury
Style Revamped Georgian retreat
Setting Shaftesbury’s Hovis hilltop
Crowning Dorset’s beautiful Blackmore Vale, Shaftesbury has Old-England charm down to the last cobble, but now that The Grosvenor Shaftesbury hotel is on the scene, there’s something for the more modern-minded visitor, too.
Need to know
- Rooms 16, including three suites.
Double rooms from AU$175.27 (£113), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£113) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Courtyard garden, ballroom, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: iPod dock, coffee maker, bottled water.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 3pm. Both can be flexible on request.
- Children Welcome. Cots are free for babies, and extra beds are £35 a night. More...
- Also Pets are welcome – ask ahead. There’s one room adapted for mobility-impaired guests, and a lift to the first floor.
- Please note
The Grosvenor is closed for renovations between 29 April and 7 July.
Food and drink at The Grosvenor Shaftesbury
The Grosvenor's restaurant, the Greenhouse, is currently in the throes of reinvention (there's talk of a wood-burning pizza oven), but in the meantime, a perfectly palatable modern menu is on offer six days a week.
- Dress code Wear what you like – the atmosphere is casual.
- Top table In summer, the restaurant spills out onto a little courtyard garden – a lovely spot in the early evening.
- Last orders The Greenhouse is open daily for breakfast, and for dinner between 7pm and 9pm, Monday to Saturday.
- Room service None.
There's a cosy sofa area in the restaurant, which serves as a bar.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Grosvenor Shaftesbury The Commons, Shaftesbury, Dorset, SP7 8JA
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Grosvenor Shaftesbury
An assortment of home-made truffles and fudge
In the know
Our favourite rooms
In summer, pick Junior Suite 9, the only room in the hotel with a balcony, and a lovely one it is too, overlooking the hotel’s central courtyard. In winter, go for the Cranborne Suite, where there’s not only a working fireplace, but also vast bay windows, a free standing bath and a shower that could accommodate a significant proportion of Shaftesbury’s residents at the same time. The rooms facing the courtyard (3, 4, 9, 15 and 16) are a mite more peaceful.
Shaftesbury’s the heart of Dorset rambler’s country, so bring your boots ’n’ Barbour combo.
If you plan to explore, ask the hotel to prepare you a packed lunch. Transport can be arranged if you fancy a few rounds on the nearby Rushmore golf course or a microlight flight from Compton Abbas Airfield.