The George in Rye
Style Quirky-smart Regency inn
Setting Cobbled Cinque Ports streets
This East Sussex boutique hotel is one of the most inspiring coaching-inn conversions we've seen in Southern England. The George in Rye’s high ballroom walls are hung with a diverting bird-patterned wallpaper; the chairs clad in monochrome Florence Broadhurst textiles. Its decor makes for love-at-first-sight stuff, and it's neatly placed in the quietly charming, pottering-pace coastal town of Rye.
Need to know
- Rooms 34, including five junior suites.
Double rooms from AU$129.87 (£83), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£83) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast. One-night bookings for Saturdays incur a £50 supplement.
- Facilities Courtyard garden, DVD library, private dining and screening room, in‑room spa treatments, free WiFi, bike hire. In rooms, flatscreen TV, Vi‑Spring bed, Frette linens, marble‑edged (or roll-top) bath, rain shower head and Ren toiletries.
- Check-out 11.30am (but flexible on request). Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome. An extra bed (£20) or cot (£10) can be added to rooms, along with baby essentials including a changing mat, wet wipes, nappies – and a rubber duck; babysitting can be arranged with advance notice. More...
- Also Lavender‑filled pillows and luxurious bottles of wild fig oil imported from Florence make evenings-in even more relaxing.
Food and drink at The George in Rye
- Hotel restaurant The brasserie‑style Dining Room has been expanded with Paul Gordon (who won acclaim at Qualia in Australia) the head chef responsible for the hotel’s traditional English cuisine using local and seasonal ingredients.
- Dress code Laid‑back layers; something a little smarter for dinner.
- Top table Nestle in a corner at either end of the long banquette, or outside in the Garden Courtyard on balmy evenings.
- Last orders The George Tap bar stays open until the last guest goes to bed.
- Room service Light snacks available 24 hours; from 7am to 10pm, you can order from the restaurant’s menu.
- Hotel bar Sip on a Rye Smile whiskey cocktail or glass of Sussex wine amid the George Tap’s attractive mish‑mash of wooden tables, benches and chairs; it stays open until the last guest leaves.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The George in Rye 98 High Street, Rye, East Sussex TN31 7JT
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The George in Rye
A seasonal pre-dinner cocktail each in the bar or restaurant
Current offers at The George in Rye
Offers at The George in Rye
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each room is unique, so you’re bound to have your own preference, but we like cosy, pretty room 3; room 10 in the eaves with a roll‑top bath; and peaceful room 9. Room 6 has a gorgeous shower stall made from a wig cupboard. For a special weekend, book suite 1 for its double‑headed walk‑in shower. There's no lift, so some rooms (for example, room 25) aren't ideal for guests who have trouble climbing stairs.
Leave the coolbox behind; the George in Rye can pack you up a fabulous hamper to take on your coastal forays – the dunes of Camber Sands are the perfect picnic destination.
Let the George organise you tickets to one of the world-class gardens nearby, or book some in-room pampering treatments with one of the therapists from the nearby Aveda spa.