Style Aristocrat’s peaceful palace
Setting Narrow Norcian streets
From its 16th-century stone façade, to its locally crafted leather and wood furnishings, Palazzo Seneca is a distinctively Umbrian affair, tricked out with a ravishing restaurant and spa. The understated masculine colour scheme is a sophisticated backdrop to the grand four-posters, antique armoires and the drawing room’s cavernous fireplace.
Need to know
- Rooms 24, including one suite.
Double rooms from AU$197.49 (€150), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€150) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast and entrance to the spa.
- Facilities Spa, courtyard garden, free WiFi throughout and a library including DVDs. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, minibar and free bottled water. Guests can take adavanatge of a free shuttle service to the sports centre, which has a fitness room, pools and tennis, basketbal and volleyball courts).
- Poolside No pool, but the spa has Turkish baths, a sauna and a hydro-massage bath big enough for six. Guests can use the indoor and outdoor pool at the Bianconi sports centre nearby.
- Check-out 11am; check-in, 2pm.
- Children Little Smiths are welcome, with cots provided free for babies, extra beds for older children, and babysitting with a local nanny for €15 an hour (book a week in advance). The restaurant offers a child-friendly menu.
- Also Petite pets can come along too.
Food and drink at Palazzo Seneca
- Hotel restaurant Vespasia is an elegant and airy crème-caramel complexioned space, with white-linen-dressed tables, white walls, leather armchairs (straight-backed for men, curvy for the ladies) and fresh, flavour-packed cuisine. Treats such as tagliolini with fresh black Norcian truffle, and split rib-eye with pecorino cheese and breaded seasonal vegetables showcase the lush local produce.
- Dress code Relaxed European finery: a silky shirt or clinging wrap dress. Spruce up more casual threads with a Hermès scarf, tied in an insouciant knot.
- Top table Sit by a window so you can admire the garden, or if the weather is clement, sit outside in the courtyard.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 7.30am and 10.30am, lunch from 12.30pm and 2.30pm, and dinner between 7.30pm and 10.30pm.
- Room service The 24-hour room service includes drinks, snacks and light meals, and items from the restaurant menu.
- Hotel bar No bar as such, but guests can request drinks, and sup them in the library, or ensconced in one of the drawing room’s chocolate-brown armchairs, by the crackling fire.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Palazzo Seneca 12 Via Cesare Battisti, Norcia, Umbria, 06046
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Palazzo Seneca
A bottle of Umbrian wine and late-checkout upon availability. For stays of three nights or more, lunch at Granaro del Monte restaurant; and, if you book a suite, a spa treatment
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Those who like to primp and preen will love Room 107 for its enormous dressing area. This superior room has a wrought iron bed with an elegant brown leather sofa at its foot, though fans of the power shower should note the bathroom only has a bath. The Junior Suites are particularly grand and spacious, and are ideal for families, since they interconnect. Both have a gargantuan four-poster intricately carved from dark wood, and ornate ceilings, cornices and oak panelling. Water babies will love Room 210, which has an indoor wet room (the whole ceiling rains on you), and a private terrace with sun loungers.
Some cycling attire for discovering Norcia’s beauty by bike; understated Massimo Dutti threads so you can relax in style; glamorous swimwear for the spa.
The hotel can arrange cookery classes, wine tastings and horse riding nearby.