Locanda al Colle
Style Art-graced guesthouse
Setting Colourful Camaiore hillside
At Locanda al Colle – a gorgeous guesthouse in Versilia – candlelit dinner parties replace room service, guests are treated like friends, and in place of TVs, rooms have sea views and Cubist art.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine, including two suites.
Double rooms from AU$365.33 (€273), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€273) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast. From April until the end of September, free entrance to beach club Bagno Cavallone is also included.
- Facilities Gardens, and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: iPod dock, free bottled water and Erbario Toscano bath products. Guests have access to private beach club, Il Cavallone, only 10 minutes away in Lido Di Camaiore.
- Poolside The slim rectangular pool in the leafy gardens has a stone patio dotted with sun-loungers and umbrellas.
- Check-out 10am, but flexible (by half an hour) subject to availability. Earliest check-in, midday.
- Children Little Smiths are welcome: cots are €25 a night and extra beds cost €70–€90 a night (depending on the season). Babysitting can be arranged for €20 an hour (book 24 hours in advance). More...
- Also Ask owner Riccardo to arrange a poolside massage. Smokers can light up in the communal areas outside. Cats and dogs (of any size, shape or hair style) can come too for €15 a night.
Food and drink at Locanda al Colle
- Hotel restaurant There’s no formal restaurant, but twice a week (on Wednesdays and Saturdays), guests are invited to a sociable dinner hosted by Riccardo and his friends. Candlelit tables on the terrace set the scene for a magical meal (washed down with plenty of prosecco and local wine). Typical dishes include home-made ravioli, sesame seed-coated tuna and farro with pesto. A generous breakfast spread (cheese, charcuterie, quiche, cake, muesli, cereal, conserves, bread and fresh fruit) is served outside in a leafy green pocket of the grounds; lunch follows suit.
- Dress code A garment in one of the hotel’s signature colours: chartreuse, olive, dusky grey or pearl pink.
- Top table One of the terrace tables in clement weather; the communal kitchen table if there’s a chill in the air (unlikely).
- Last orders Help yourself to the breakfast buffet between 8.30am and 11.30am (9am–11am in cooler months); lunch is served around 1.30pm–2pm and dinner is served between 8pm and half past (one sitting only).
- Room service No room service, but it’s wise to save your appetite for the three main meals.
- Hotel bar Help yourself to drinks from the honesty bar, and enjoy them in one of the many peaceful perches: outside on the terrace, in the gardens, by the pool, or in one of the cosy lounges.
Locanda al Colle Via la Stretta 231, Camaiore, Tuscany, 55041
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Locanda al Colle
A bottle of wine or prosecco (SilverSmiths also get some Erbario Toscano bath products; GoldSmiths are also treated to a box of Erbario Toscano scented oils)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Aurora’s panoramic terrace has an outdoor fireplace; inside, it’s elegant and luxurious, with a green and gold palette, black and white photographs of nudes, and a shower- and tub-toting bathroom. If you crave space, opt for the taupe- and grey-hued Colle, a suite with a fireplace-adorned sitting room, Fifties armchairs decorated in animal print, Tiffany lamp stand and four-poster bed. It’s an easy sneak to the pool from the suite’s terrace.
Swimwear for a cooling dip; a notebook to jot down the contact details of guests you befriend over dinner. Don’t bother with bath products – the in-room treats (Erbario Toscano) are divine.
Guests can use the pool and lounge areas post check-out, if they have time to kill before a flight. The first-floor apartment can be rented exclusively in winter (€450–€650 a day; stays of three nights or more).