Style Less-is-more luxe
Setting Tropical Caribbean seaside
This blissful boutique-style resort set on the Mayan Riviera's most beautiful beach is fabulously spoiling. Esencia's luxurious main hotel building, the whitewashed three-storey Casa Grande, was built to satisfy the whims of a wealthy European duchess and designed for her guests. It combines sophisticated simplicity with all mod cons, including black-out curtains to guarantee a good night's sleep. Seamless service, miles of lush tropical beach, expertly mixed tequila cocktails and a pampering spa… we'll be extremely impressed if you make it out to see the Mayan ruins.
Need to know
- Rooms 29 in total, including 17 suites and two cottages.
Double rooms from AU$574.34 ($545), excluding tax at 24 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($545) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities In-room DVD/CD players, plasma TVs, iPod docks, Internet access; DVD/CD library and iPod loan; organic spa with Jacuzzis, steam room, beachside temazcal and phytotherapy treatments; chef's tables; complimentary yoga; scuba instructors.
- Poolside There are two swimming pools (one for families, one adults only) with sun loungers, plus a white-sand beach.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible, depending on room availability.
- Children Welcome; the resort has multi-lingual nannies and babysitting can be arranged at $25 an hour. High chairs and cribs provided. An additional third bed costs $150 a night; $75 for under-12s. More...
- Also Dogs weighing three pounds or less are allowed but owners are responsible for their food. Smoking is allowed; non-smoking rooms are also available.
Food and drink at Esencia
- Hotel restaurant Esencia's rustic but elegant restaurant Sal y Fuego (meaning 'salt and fire') offers Meso-American cuisine made with fresh local produce. Seafood is a speciality.
- Dress code Informal and relaxed; a little dressier in the evening, if you feel like it.
- Top table For lunch, go for a beachside table with a sea view; for dinner, one of the tables overlooking the cenote, an underground freshwater pool that's romantically illuminated by night.
- Last orders Food is served in the restaurant from 7am till 11pm.
- Room service Round the clock: hot food is available until 11pm; after the kitchen closes, cold snacks are still available.
- Hotel bar Sip drinks in the chill-out lounge in the main house, by the pool or on the beach up till 11pm. Try one of the killer tequila-based creations; we love the mezcal and pineapple-packed Esencia Carbeña. Rooms have minibars with complimentary beer, too.
Esencia Carretera Cancún Tulum, Pedio Rústico Xpu-Ha Lote 18, Quintana Roo, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, 77710
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Esencia
A complimentary cocktail each and a snorkelling trip for two.
Offers at Esencia
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Deluxe Ocean View suites have 360º views; watch the sun set from the terrace and enjoy sunrise from your giant bed. The private two-storey, two-bedroom cottages set in the gardens are enormous and wonderful for family holidays: they even have their own full-sized swimming pool, multimedia room, bar and chef. The Rosa suite in the Casa Grande was the master bedroom when the Duchess of Ferrari owned the property, so the entire hacienda can be viewed from its enormous terrace.
Bikinis are a must; a swimsuit is probably more practical if you want to try snorkelling or scuba diving. Bring some comfy shoes if you plan on following any of the nature, culture, biking or hiking trails.