Style Multi-house military marvel
Setting Base of the Golden Gate
Cavallo Point in California, sister property to Big Sur's Post Ranch Inn, is a historic boutique hotel spread across old officers’ quarters and solar-panelled new builds just south of the shops and seafood of Sausalito.
Need to know
- Rooms 142.
Double rooms from AU$358.74 ($349), excluding tax at 14 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of $25.00 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($349) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (from US$12) and a 14 per cent national park fee.
- Facilities Spa, gym, free WiFi throughout, yoga and guided weekend hikes. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock and Bonny Doon Farm bath products.
- Poolside As part of the Health Arts Center and Spa, there’s an outdoor meditation area, equipped with a small heated pool, shower and springy-grassed garden.
- Check-out 12 noon. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children All ages are welcome, and the restaurant has a dedicated children’s menu. Cots and extra beds can be provided free. Babysitting costs US$20 an hour, plus a 35 per cent agency service charge, four-hour minimum. More...
- Also Dog-friendly rooms with bed and bowls are available for US$75 extra. The hotel hosts regular cookery classes, with visiting guests invited to share their expertise.
Food and drink at Cavallo Point
- Hotel restaurant Murray Circle restaurant is housed in a grand room in one of the historic buildings on site, kitted out with tin ceilings, fine art, fireplaces and Golden Gate views. The local market's freshest daily produce is cooked up, and there's plenty of newly caught seafood on offer. If you can’t decide, go for the tasting menu and sample your way through the chef's signature selection.
- Dress code Wartime wardrobes: khaki for Mr Smith, victory rolls for Mrs Smith.
- Top table Snug in the romantic back corner for the best view; out on the front porch if the fog's blown away.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7am until 10am; lunch is 11.30am until 2pm (2.30pm for brunches at weekends); dinner is available from 5.30pm until 10pm (11pm on Fridays and Saturdays). The bar shuts at 11pm during the week and midnight at weekends.
- Room service Dishes from the restaurant can be ordered between 7am and 11pm.
- Hotel bar The gentleman’s club-like Farley Bar serves up small plates, creative cocktails, microbrewery beers and almost every spirit conceivable. The bar itself was crafted from a fallen tree. On Monday nights, local musicians take to the stage for sax, piano and flute recitals.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Cavallo Point 601 Murray Circle, Sausalito, CA 94965
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Cavallo Point
US$50 to put towards spa treatments (not merchandise)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Pick between historic and contemporary: the former are housed in whitewashed former military quarters, perfect for fans of cosiness. If it’s Golden Gate views you’re after, go for a contemporary room with a deck.
This is a land of Indian Summers, and it’s often far warmer in September and October. A handbag-size sweater will always be useful – the fog can roll in at any moment.
Aside from the superior treatments, the serene spa has its own tea bar, where guests can order frozen Mayan cacao, goji berry and lime coladas and freshly made soup (but don't worry, sweet tooths can still enjoy a pastry-fuelled afternoon tea).
From the Guestbook…
This is a simply breathtaking location and in my opinion far better than residing in San Francisco itself during a trip here. We awoke each morning to glorious views of the bay and...more