Castiglion del Bosco
Style Grape estate
Setting Verdant Val d’Orcia
Castiglion del Bosco’s personal ad is enticing: 800-year old Tuscan estate with 4,000-plus acres, a Brunello winery, two restaurants and a pool seeks discerning guests for sun and friendship…
Need to know
- Rooms 23, including 18 suites.
Double rooms from AU$144.82 (€110), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€110) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast (an American or Tuscan spread).
- Facilities Cookery school, spa, gym, golf course, tennis courts, football and bowls pitches, winery with an enoteca (tasting room), a little church, extensive grounds, an organic orto (Italian kitchen garden), book and DVD library, free WiFi throughout and a boutique selling clothes, shoes and local delicacies. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, Nespresso machine and free bottled water.
- Poolside The heated infinity pool is set on the crest of a lavender- and bluebell-graced hill, with breathtaking views of the rolling fields and the village of Montalcino in the distance.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible, subject to availability and a half-day charge up to 6pm. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Free extra beds and cots can be added to larger rooms. Babysitting with a local nanny is available from €25 an hour (book a day in advance).
- Also Pint-sized dogs can come too, at no extra cost; food bowls and beds can be provided.
Food and drink at Castiglion del Bosco
There are two, one set in La Canonica (the old priest’s house). Osteria la Canonica is the relaxed option, serving light Italian staples – pasta, cheese, cured meats and the ilk. The more formal Ristorante Campo del Drago excels in rich Tuscan classics such as Chianina steak in Brunello sauce.
- Dress code Rural chic: cashmere and corduroy, in olive, corn-gold and russet hues.
- Top table Each restaurant has its own terrace, so soak up the sunshine over glasses of Brunello, or stargaze by night.
- Last orders Breakfast is 7.30am–11am; lunch is from noon until 3.30pm; dinner is a relaxed affair, served between 7.30pm and 11pm.
- Room service Order items from the restaurant menus between 7.30am and 11pm. Items from the hotel bar can be ordered between 4.30pm and 1am. There's also a Night Menu, available 11pm–7.30am.
The snug CdB bar has a wonderful terrace overlooking the woods, lakes and Montalcino. Snack on little stuzzichini (appetisers) and sample the award-winning wine.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Castiglion del Bosco Loc. Castiglion Del Bosco, Montalcino, Tuscany, 53024
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Castiglion del Bosco
A wine-tasting tour for two
Offers at Castiglion del Bosco
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The San Michele Suite has an elegant sitting room with a library and garret, and a bathroom with a generous tub. Ask for a front-facing room – they come with little wooden shutters that open out onto the village and the piazzetta (diminutive square).
A sketchpad and watercolours to capture the scenery (or, failing that, a camera); a notebook for scribbling down recipes; sportswear for the sleek, glass-walled gym, which surveys the Tuscan countryside.
Castiglion del Bosco is the fifth largest producer of Brunello di Montalcino (a lush red), so have a guided tour of the winery. A tasting session is obligatory. The gardens are in good hands – they’re tended to by the Vatican’s man.