- Style Eat, pray, love
- Setting Canggu garden Eden
It may be too late for Adam and Eve, but Villa Mathis hotel in Bali offers a seductive pocket of paradise, with five intimate villas scattered amid tropical gardens and pretty pools. Gourmet treats, spiritual statues and romantic nooks abound, with dreamy day-beds, lazy loungers and serene salas encouraging you to relax. Pampering butler service, privacy and proximity to beaches and boutiques put the 'p' into perfect.
Need to know
- Rooms 18. Book a double room or take over a whole villa exclusively for group getaways.
- Rates Double rooms from $157.02, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast and shuttle transfers to and from Seminyak.
- Facilities Spa, library, CD/DVD collection, gallery/boutique, gardens, TVs and free WiFi in common areas. In rooms: local toiletries, free bottled water, umbrellas, kimonos.
- Poolside Surrounded by cosy cushioned corners, the expansive main pool is the go-to spot for a cooling dip, or just curl up with a cocktail on the sunloungers. Each of the five villas also boasts its own spacious pool, with relaxation salas and day-beds tucked away in the fragrant, frangipani-flecked foliage. There are dedicated butlers for each area, so just wave a paw for poolside service.
- Check–out 12pm, but later check-outs are available for 50 per cent of the room rate. Check-in, 1pm.
Children Welcome: baby cots are free and extra beds for older kids cost US$30 a child a night, including breakfast. Babysitting will set you back US$8 an hour, requiring 24 hours' notice, and there are children's menus.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
- Also Smoking is allowed at the hotel. Pets are not permitted. Please let the hotel know your planned arrival time upon booking; they're welcoming types here.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Bali meets Paris in the ornate villas, named after Indonesian islands. Pastel-pretty swathes of silk, sheers and batik hold sway, accessorised with feminine scatter cushions, local antiques and elegant lighting. Each room is different, with some opening onto the garden and others with tropical views, but all give onto a shared villa pool. We like airy Ki (La Villa des Rizières) for its fresh white palette and rice-field views from Borneo Bedroom's roof terrace. Deep bath tubs for two and outdoor showers in walled gardens add allure to all villas.
- Packing tips Swimwear for laid-back Canggu Beach; shopping bags for Seminyak's chic boutiques.
- Also Living/dining areas and the pool in each villa are shared communally between a small cluster of four or five rooms, offering the privacy of a villa stay with the personal service of a hotel, although guests are welcome to use all the other spaces. The set-up works equally well for romantic couples seeking seclusion or family and friends travelling together.
Food and drink at Villa Mathis
- Hotel restaurant Dining is an ephemeral affair at Villa Mathis, with guests encouraged to enjoy meals outdoors in gorgeously designed spaces, from poolside breakfasts to garden-set lunches and lantern-lit terrace dinners. You can also dine in your villa or in secret spots set up by your hosts. The cuisine takes its cue from Balinese and French flavours. Fancy fine-dining? Open-sided Nuits Baroques restaurant contrasts Italian baroque decor, black chandeliers and opulent chairs with a simple alang-alang roof and airy garden views, serving fusion fare including a nightly six-course tasting menu with matched wines.
- Dress code Think Côte d'Azur for dining alfresco, with big hats and bigger sunglasses. Ramp up the Paris glam in the restaurant at night: bejewelled kaftans and high heels for girls; smart shirts and trousers for guys.
- Top table Snaffle a table at the rear of Nuits Baroques, flanked by the garden, for maximum privacy. When it comes to secluded dining alfresco, the sky's the limit – request an intimate meal by the water, in a sala or in the garden under lantern-hung trees.
- Last orders Nuits Baroques keeps serving until 11pm, when private dining also draws to a close; Le Fumoir bar is open until midnight.
- Room service Order the full restaurant menu through room service, from 7am until 11pm, delivered by a butler to your villa or anywhere else on the grounds.
- Hotel bar So Frenchy, so chic sums up hotel bar Le Fumoir, where lounge music lulls you into ordering another Blue Mathis. Set beside the restaurant, it's seriously sexy at night when the illuminated dining room and bar radiate Euro elegance.