- Style Rustic deluxe
- Setting Green groves of Greve in Chianti
Scottish restaurateurs Catherine and David Gardner took three years to furbish and restore Villa Bordoni, a 10-roomed villa in the rolling countryside. They have successfully filled a glaring boutique-hotel gap in a beloved holiday region. They have been careful not to create a self-conscious design hotel, offering instead a tasteful country-house hotel with hi-tech trim that's child-friendly, too.
Need to know
- Rooms 10, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $211.25 (€155), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €2.50 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include breakfast. Half-board is available for an extra €45 a day.
- Facilities LCD TVs, DVD and CD players, wireless internet; WiFi in public areas; library of books and magazines; open-air fitness pavilion.
- Poolside The saltwater pool is set in terraced olive groves, with views over the Chianti hills from the gazebos.
- Check–out 11am, but may be flexible.
Children Welcome. There is no charge for under-sevens sharing with their parents. Extra beds and cots are available for €30–€50.
- Hotel closed From the second week of January until 28 February.
- Also The villa and its grounds are non-smoking. It's situated at the end of a lengthy unmade road, so watch your tires if you're driving.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Montefili has pale grey and crimson decor and fabulous views over the olive groves and the valley.
- Packing tips An appetite, and your swimsuit and gym kit to make amends.
- Also There are hill-walking trails and mountain bikes for the active. Horse riding can be arranged, as can cookery lessons and wine-tasting; there's a golf course nearby, too.
Food and drink at Villa Bordoni
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant is the jewel in Bordoni's crown, so prepare to eat around the clock. We can't recommend Batar more (except perhaps for vegetarians); the Montrachet-alike 2001 vintage from Querciabella is liquid heaven.
- Dress code Chiantishire chic.
- Top table Outside on the patio or among the umbrella pines in the summer; next to the log fire in winter.
- Last orders Lunch 12.30–2.30pm; dinner 7.30pm–10pm; closed Mondays.
- Room service Restaurant and snack menus available until 11.30pm.
- Hotel bar There is an aperitivo hour with complimentary antipastini, 6.30–7.30pm. There is an excellent selection of Chianti Classico from regional winemakers.