Uma by Como, Ubud
- Style Thatched holistic haven
- Setting River deep, mountain high
With guided treks around the paddy fields each morning, free daily yoga classes, and Como Shambhala’s globally celebrated spa treatments on offer, the mountainside Uma by Como, Ubud boutique hotel in Jalan Raya Sanggingan (a five-minute drive from Ubud's city centre) is clearly on a mission to relax and rejuvenate. Given the incredible valley scenery, the soothing sounds of Balinese wildlife, and the beautiful thatched balés that fill the place, it couldn’t fail.
Need to know
- Rooms 29.
- Rates Double rooms from $269.42, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, DVD/CD selection, free WiFi in restaurant, pool, bar and lobby. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, free broadband internet. Suites have a Bose sound system.
- Poolside The 25-metre pool is surrounded by immaculate green lawns and is shaded by an assortment of tropical trees.
- Check–out 11am, but later check-out is possible, subject to availability.
Children Booked in advance, babysitting should be booked a day in advance and costs US$5 an hour. Extra beds are US$70 a night (free to under-12s. The restaurant has children’s menu and can provide high chairs and packed lunches. They’ll heat baby milk, too.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
- Also You can smoke in your room and the restaurant is split into smoking and non-smoking areas. A three-night minimum stay is required over New Year and there is a compulsory New Year's Eve dinner for US$100 a head (50 per cent off for children).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The views from the three Uma Pool Suites are hard to beat: from your infinity pool you can admire vast panoramas of the lush valley, right down to the Oos river meandering along the bottom. The Como suite has equally camera-friendly vistas, as well as the resort’s finest pool and its own spa treatment room.
- Packing tips Inland Bali is the perfect trekking ground so make sure you bring suitable shoes for jungle yomps – sturdy sandals should do the trick. Bring mozzie repellent too.
- Also Uma by Como, Ubud can organise a range of activities, ranging from adrenaline-fuelled to serenity-filled. Try white-water rafting on the Ayung or biking the jungle. For more sedate thrills, learn yoga, batik, Indonesian puppet making, and mask painting.
Food and drink at Uma by Como, Ubud
- Hotel restaurant Kemiri, an open-air dining balé pavilion beside a tranquil fishpond, serves both seasonal, locally sourced south-east Asian cuisine and a nutritious Como Shambhala menu, which places an emphasis on raw, organic ingredients.
- Dress code Clean lines and floaty linens.
- Top table For the most breathtaking view, make a beeline for table 2; you’ll be right beside the waterfall-fed pond, where you can watch golden koi gliding through the water.
- Last orders Kemiri closes its kitchen at 10.30pm, but the Pool Bar keeps pouring until 11.45pm.
- Room service Healthy Como Shambhala dishes and guiltier pleasures such as pasta and club sandwiches can be enjoyed in rooms from 6.30am to 1am.
- Hotel bar A relaxed, contemporary affair, Uma by Como, Ubud’s Pool Bar is the ideal spot for lingering on a lounger making your way through the 15-strong martini menu.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details