- Style Colourful, cordial guesthouse
- Setting Mountain-view Oranjezicht
‘Bold use of colour’ is usually synonymous with ‘eye-sickening clashes’, but not at hotel 22. Each of this boutique bed and breakfast’s four rooms have been uniquely styled with a colour palette that could be dangerous in the wrong hands, but here works a harmonious modern magic.
Need to know
- Rooms Four.
- Rates Double rooms from $194.84 (ZAR2,018), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout; visiting masseuse. In rooms: TV, DVD player, iPod – compatible Tivoli Audio sound system, La Companie de Provence Marseille toiletries.
- Poolside Like 22 itself, the pool is small (14 metres) but stylishly formed, with cosy loungers set up on the lawns beside it, and sofas and coffee tables at one end – perfect for card games, leafing through the papers or just dozing in the sunshine.
- Check–out Midday, although both early check-in and late check-out can be arranged, subject to availability.
Children 22 is very much a couples’ hideaway.
- Hotel closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Also There’s no smoking throughout, although three rooms have balconies or terraces you can smoke on. Pets are not allowed – Monty the cat gets jealous.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Although rooms 2 and 3 are the largest and most honeymoon-friendly, we got very excited about room 1, with its clever colour palette of pastel blue, accented with orange and umber. It also has a fabulous little sun deck – complete with comical plastic dog sculpture. Room 4 is the smallest, but, thanks to its corner window, has the biggest view: the mountains to one side, the Waterfront to the other.
- Packing tips Walking boots or decent trainers are always useful for traipsing Cape Town and exploring the environs – especially if you take advantage of owners Allan and Dominic’s personal trainer friend, who can take you on fitness-building mountain hikes.
- Also 22 can arrange temporary membership at a nearby gym, or spa treatments at a hotel in the vicinity. Allan and Dominic live on site and are generally on hand to help make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Food and drink at Twentytwo
- Hotel restaurant No restaurant; breakfast is usually served in the beautiful gardens, weather permitting.
- Dress code Whatever you like, from starched and stylish to fun and floaty.
- Room service 24-hour staff can bring you tea and coffee, etc, whenever and wherever you want.
- Hotel bar There’s an honesty bar and fridge in the extra-comfortable lounge area, where you can grab wine, beer or spirits, and sup or sip to your heart’s (or liver’s) content. The hotel’s even got it’s own 22-branded mineral water.