Town Hall Hotel & Apartments
- Style Reinvented vintage cool
- Setting Bohemian Bethnal Green
Town Hall Hotel & Apartments are housed in Bethnal Green’s old council building: modern fixtures such as floor-to-ceiling glass have been added to the grand design of the Edwardian building; the marble floors, high ceilings, stately staircases remain in charge. Fine-dining lovers are attracted by its superstar restaurant, Viajante, and you won’t spot a magistrate anywhere.
Need to know
- Rooms 98, including 88 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $200.29 (£123), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (£15 each for full English).
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, gym, and a flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, and free bottled water in rooms. A shuttle service takes guests to Liverpool Street and Bank stations at 7.30am and 8.15am on weekday mornings.
- Poolside There’s a slimline, heated pool adjacent to the gym in the basement.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible for an extra charge. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children Welcome. Cots for babies are free, and extra beds are £75 a night.
- Please note The swimming pool and gym will be closed January 13–20, 2014.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Push the boat out and pick the De Montfort Suite, the former Edwardian council room. The ceilings are triple height, and vast glass room dividers brighten up the airy space even more. The heftily sized arched windows draft in lots of light through their plain and stained glass panels and you can even indulge in some ivory tinkling on the suite's Steinway grand piano. There’s seating for 20 – and the head chef can whip up a tasting menu to be taken in-suite.
- Packing tips Ray-Bans, vintage tea dresses and your best brogues.
- Also There’s no spa at the hotel, but a Cowshed one awaits down the road at Shoreditch Rooms. If you're staying solo, Nelson and Nancy (the Town Hall's resident goldfish), can stay in your room for a small fee.
Food and drink at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments
- Hotel restaurant At Michelin-starred Viajante, Portuguese chef Nuno Mendes puts on epic tasting menus of up to 12 courses for the gourmands and the greedy. He’s worked all over the world so expect fusion dishes combining all kinds of cuisine. Watch out for the ‘Thai explosion’. The Corner Room bistro serves brasserie-style food, prepared by the same star chef.
- Dress code Smart and snappy second-hand chic.
- Top table Next to the finishing kitchen to watch Nuno and his team in action. For a private party you can arrange a table in the hotel's unique, art deco Council Chamber.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 7am and 10am; lunch is 12pm–2pm; dinner runs from 7pm until 11pm.
- Room service Hot and cold snacks are available 24 hours a day. Every evening the Town Hall 'Tea Lady' goes from room to room proffering bespoke, expertly mixed martinis from her trolley of exotic ingredients..
- Hotel bar The darkly lit bar is perfect for pre-dinner cocktails, picked from a seasonal selection. Our favourites include the Green Traveller (fresh lemongrass, gin, green Chartreuse, lemon juice, orange bitters and Thai basil oil) and Matcha Fizz (gin, green-tea powder and other necessary fizz-makers).