The Soho Hotel
- Style Modern British wit
- Setting Central secrecy
Sister to the Covent Garden Hotel, Soho hotel is a bubble of cool calm, and therefore it's also a surprisingly child-friendly hotel. Veer off Wardour Street and head towards a twinkly-lit porch to find a 10-foot porcelain Botero cat sculpture, oversized plant pots and a clash of driftwood and neon-tinted Perspex – a refreshing alternative to the marble and brass lobbies of most hotels in this postcode.
Need to know
- Rooms 91.
- Rates Double rooms from $362.04 (£220), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (£21.50 for a full English).
- Facilities Free high-speed internet access, cinema, CD/DVD player, flatscreen TV, Frette linen, iPod dock, Miller Harris bath products, valet service.
- Check–out 11am
Children Families are welcomed. Extra beds are available (£66 per night).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Rock stars opt for the sprawling terrace suite, with its views over Soho’s rooftops, but we love the deluxe rooms on the fifth floor.
- Packing tips Hangover remedies; with cocktails this good on tap and amid so many late-night bars, you'd be mad not to take full advantage.
- Also The hotel has a screening room which hosts a film club every Sunday – contemporary, classic and 3D films are shown with free popcorn at 3.30pm. You can combine it with a three-course lunch or dinner or a champagne afternoon tea for £35.
Food and drink at The Soho Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Refuel offers an à la carte menu filled with decadent and down-to-earth modern international cuisine (such as truffled macaroni and cheese or beer-battered cod) if you're looking for a full-on banquet, or cosmopolitan food platters to pick at with your drinks. Settle in for some afternoon tea (which can also be taken in the private drawing room or library).
- Dress code Soho sophisticates.
- Top table By the rack of plants that separates the restaurant from the bar.
- Last orders 11pm.
- Room service An extensive 24-hour menu including tapas-style snacks, gluten-free options and hefty organic meats from a farm in Hampshire if you're after something substantial (as well as a selection of sundaes for afterwards).
- Hotel bar Refuel is great for pre or after dinner drinks.