- Style Decorative opulence
- Setting Grand civic redbrick
The reception of this Berkshire boutique hotel is a swirl of pinks, reds, burnt orange and silver, creating a slick European-style ambience. The Forbury's commissioned contemporary art on the walls and one of the world’s biggest chandeliers add up to a stylish stay with a decadent, playful air.
Need to know
- Rooms 23, including four Luxury Rooms, four suites and a Grand Suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $204.72 (£125), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates usually exclude breakfast (£12 for Continental; £17 for full English).
- Facilities Bang & Olufsen audiovisual, free wireless broadband, custom-woven satin sheets, 30-seat cinema, library and Moroccan-inspired Secret Garden.
- Check–out 11am but flexible when possible.
Children Cot available at no charge; extra beds for older children are £30 a night. Babysitting, £10 an hour. Children's menu in the restaurant.
- Also No pets, but guide dogs are welcome. There are 16 serviced apartments available for short lets.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The fabrics throughout are beautiful, from Nina Campbell, Designers Guild, Kenzo and so on; floors are American walnut. There are at least three specially commissioned artworks in each room. All the bathrooms have stone floor and walls, six-inch monsoon showers and baths big enough for two. Luxury rooms are particularly spacious, and the suites all have something really special about them: a glass bath, a steam room, a copper bath in front of the fire…
- Packing tips Walking boots and binoculars for Thames Valley twitching.
Food and drink at The Forbury
- Hotel restaurant Cerise serves up moreish Mediterranean cuisine, with dishes such as salmon with peas and saffron sauce and wild mushroom and butternut squash risotto.
- Dress code Cool and casual.
- Top table The Secret Garden, weather permitting.
- Last orders Lunch, 3pm; dinner, 10pm, except for Fridays and Saturdays, when last orders are 10.30pm.
- Room service 24 hours.
- Hotel bar Cerise has a long pewter bar where you can sample fine wines, malt whiskies, cognacs and cocktails – try a chilli and cucumber martini or the signature Forbury: a blend of amaretto, apricot brandy, apple juice and lemon.