- Style Cool, cultural cutting-edge
- Setting Art and Design District of Parkdale
Not only are the hip bunk-ups at The Drake hotel in Toronto fantastically priced but there's every entertainment or eating and drinking requirement on your lap. Enjoy home-baked scones in the café, earmark sushi and live jazz from the Raw Bar, or plump for a mean steak frites in the Lounge, then head up to the Sky Yard for cocktails on the roof or down to the Underground for live bands or a cutting-edge clubnight.
Need to know
- Rooms 19.
- Rates Double rooms from $178.19 (CA$189), excluding tax at 13 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities A venue fit for a night owl, there’s eating, drinking and dancing opportunities galore. Guests get a special deal at 99 Sudbury gym. In rooms: flatscreen TVs and CD/DVD, full-size Malin+Goetz products, safe; spa treatments possible.
- Check–out Noon; earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children As this is somewhere with so much nightlife it’s aimed more at adults, but if you do have nippers in tow, while they aren’t especially well equipped for them they are welcome.
- Eco‐friendly The hotel has its own organic garden; daily tours at 10am in spring/summer. All cleaning products are environmentally friendly, and this being Canada, recycling is excellent.
- Also Smoking is not permitted anywhere except on the terrace. No pets. During Toronto International Film Festival in September, there’s a three-night minimum stay, and a 10-day cancellation policy.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Crashpads and Dens are cosy and have cute glassed-in showers; Salons and Suites are more spacious. 203 has a cool exposed brick wall; 301 and 302 face the street and are beloved by honeymooners for the artwork/lighting.
- Packing tips No need to take a new paperback; thanks to their Book of the Month arrangement with Harper Collins, there’s a novel for you to keep on your bedside table.
Food and drink at The Drake
- Hotel restaurant Beloved-by-locals Corner Café is legendary for its melt-in-your-mouth scones and bistro fare. For a mean steak frites, plump for a banquette in Lounge. For oysters and sushi thrills, pull up a bar stool in the Lounge at the Raw Bar.
- Dress code Edgy and modish; elegant but effortless.
- Top table For special occasions or events, book Room 222 at the top for dinner-party fun overlooking the Sky Yard.
- Last orders Corner Café: 7am–11pm and 12am Fridays and Saturdays. Lounge: 6pm–11pm and 1am Fridays and Saturdays; Sunday brunch 11am–4pm.
- Room service 24-hour; Snacks and drinks available in some shape or form around the clock.
- Hotel bar Drinks and good times roll in the Lounge and on the roof terrace bar, Sky Yard, until 2am. For some serious choons with your cocktails, the Underground is the basement club that has seen the Killers through to MIA perform. They do a mean Caipirinha.