The Betsy South Beach
- Style Colonial do-gooding cutie
- Setting Beachside Deco District
With a fresh colonial feel to its communal areas and a look that’s more South Carolina than South Beach this deco dame emerged in 2009 from a fabulous freshen-up and face lift. Contemporary art, a modern attitude, and a charitable spirit ensure The Betsy hotel, an independently owned hip hostelry, shines on South Beach.
Need to know
- Rooms 61, 20 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $225.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional resort fee of $16.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates do not include breakfast (from US$15).
- Facilities Spa services on the rooftop, library, full gym, high-speed WiFi, beach chairs. In rooms: Sferra linens, Malin+Goetz products, snack-packed minibar and TVs and top-notch audio/video connections including iHome docks.
- Poolside The small swimming pool is flanked by sunloungers which enjoy plenty of shade from the hot South Florida sun, but we think you might prefer the white-sandy beach which is a hop beyond Ocean Drive.
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
Children This is a lovely hotel for urbane families. Baby cots can be added to the room at no extra charge although these don’t fit in a classic room.
- Also Pets can stay – but there’s a US$250 price tag. And if you’re a philanthropy admirer, stay here with a clear conscience: the hotel is a do-gooding heavyweight with its fingers in lots of charitable projects.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms If you’re a real vistaholic, 328 is a Grand Suite on the corner, with the best possible sea view. We of course love the high-ceilinged Grand Suites which overlook the ocean but that glory comes at a price. Light sleepers may want to request a room that is not next to the lift.
- Packing tips For the full photoshoot-ready effect, retro lemon-yellow accessories for the roofdeck by day, glittering disco threads for after-hours South Beach party-hopping.
- Also A hotel celebrated for its philanthropy and arts and culture programmes, lots of the pieces on display in the hotel are for sale.
Food and drink at The Betsy South Beach
- Hotel restaurant Much-hyped New York steakhouse BLT Steak is open here too for breakfast, lunch and dinner when the ribeye, Dover sole and tuna tartare are the biggest hits. There is also a sushi bar.
- Dress code Pretty Fifties vintage dresses and dapper khaki linens.
- Top table On the balcony, poised in pole position for first-class Ocean Drive people-ogling.
- Last orders Midnight in the lobby.
- Room service Order the usual in-room American cuisine classics 8am–10pm.
- Hotel bar Pause in the cheery, sea-breezy laid-back lobby bar 11am until midnight for a coffee or a cocktail.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details