Spicers Clovelly Estate
- Style So Frenchy, so chic
- Setting Hilly hinterland hideaway
Teaming flirty French style with rustic Australiana, rural retreat Spicers Clovelly Estate in Queensland's Sunshine Coast hinterland likes to surprise. Sure you can romance it up in the rainforest, or escape to Noosa's blissful beaches, but the Provençal touches, chic suites and velvety rolling lawns at this classy country estate radiate Euro charm. Impeccable gourmet credentials and a spoil-you spa seal the deal.
Need to know
- Rooms 10, all suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $247.49 (AU$272), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include a full hot or cold Parisian breakfast, tea and coffee.
- Facilities Spa, gardens, library with books and DVDs, free WiFi throughout and guest bikes. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, GHD hair straighteners, L'Occitane toiletries.
- Poolside Making the most of its rustic setting, the outdoor pool is edged by green grounds dotted with white sunloungers and wicker deck chairs, perfect for sunning in style.
- Check–out 11am, or later if available for AU$100 an hour. Check-in, 2pm.
Children Clovelly Estate is an adult retreat and isn’t suitable for Junior Smiths. Only teens aged 16 and over are welcome, although exceptions may be made for events. Bag the Luxury Spa Suite, with separate living area, for family stays.
- Eco‐friendly Seasonal, locally sourced food is served at the hotel's restaurant, with some produce grown on site. Clovelly Estate also recycles and offers guests free bicycles for gadding about.
- Also This is a non-smoking property. Pets are not permitted. For an added French touch, enjoy elegant high tea with a twist, served with Parisian pastries on the shaded veranda
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We love the three suites in the converted cottage, which is separated from the main building by landscaped gardens. The two ground-floor Estate Suites sport large bay windows that frame panoramic views. Indoors, understated French decor, touchy-feely cashmere throws and black lacquered furnishings are just as enticing. For added indulgence, opt for the Luxury Spa Suite upstairs. With its spacious lounge, plush Gallic armchairs and palatial spa bath, it's the ultimate romantic hidey-hole.
- Packing tips Outdoor types should pack hiking boots for exploring the surrounding bushwalking trails and waterfall-peppered rainforest. Bring binoculars for scoping views of Lake Baroon from the nearby look-out, and swimmers for Noosa beach jaunts.
- Also Pamper yourself in Spa Anise's soothing stone-and-timber treatment rooms, where every therapy starts with a fragrant foot bath ritual, then wind down afterwards with a herbal brew in the marble chill-out courtyard. Spicers' Bath Butler can also tailor intimate in-room spa experiences, complete with champagne, chocolates and aromatherapy candles. Once you've banished every shred of stress, bag a striped Bordeaux armchair in the guest lounge and curl up with a classic from Clovelly’s well-stocked book shelves.
Food and drink at Spicers Clovelly Estate
- Hotel restaurant Taking the hotel's French provincial theme as inspiration, renowned chef Cameron Matthews heads up the Long Apron, combining classic European flavours with fresh local produce. Opt to dine à la carte on seasonal delicacies such as Hervey Bay scallops with cucumber, yoghurt and a squid-ink cracker, or embark on a gourmet journey with the Long Apron’s renowned tasting menu, accompanied by matching sommelier-selected wines. For tips on replicating the signature dishes, sign up for one of the cooking classes that Matthews runs once a month.
- Dress code Chic but casual, like the setting. It's all about understated country elegance.
- Top table Pull up a pew at the communal French Table in the open kitchen and graze while watching Cameron and his crew of flambéing minions whip up culinary delights.
- Last orders The Long Apron serves lunch from 12pm to 3pm, Friday to Sunday, and dinner from 6pm to 9pm, Wednesday through Monday. Score a drink at the bar until 9pm.
- Room service Available from 6pm to 9pm, with a range of light, healthy home-cooked bites.
- Hotel bar Decorated with dramatic black-lacquer furniture and graceful French antiques, the Lounge Bar at Clovelly is a stylish spot to enjoy an apéritif or an after-dinner Cognac. Perch on a high-backed stool at the curvy stone bar or sink back into a cosy armchair by the majestic marble fireplace. The cellar flaunts an extensive selection of fine wines from Australia and Europe (including France, bien sûr!), and the knowledgeable sommelier is on hand to help you navigate them.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details