- Style Refined comfort
- Setting Medina with mod-cons
RUNNER-UP: ABOVE AND BEYOND – SMITH HOTEL AWARDS 2013
You’d never imagine that the nameless wooden door and barely visible bell next to it make up the entrance to a first-class hotel from Jonathan Wix. Every detail of Riad Farnatchi has been considered with guests' comfort in mind, making it one of Marrakech's most refined takes on the private courtyard-house hotel. The polished-marble hammam, handmade beds, glass dining table are the essence of modern style in ancient surroundings.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $425.45 (€309), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast, airport transfers, Moroccan slippers and djellabas.
- Facilities Heated swimming pool, underfloor heating in all rooms. iPod speakers, Molton Brown toiletries, hammam, deep-tissue, Thai and relaxing massage, reflexology, manicure, pedicure, essential-oil body wraps.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible depending on subsequent guests. Shower room for late flights, luggage storage.
Children Not a child-friendly property, owing to its open pool. One cot and baby bed available; confirm when booking.
- Hotel closed 1–30 August.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Suite 1 used to be where the man of the house received his wives. It has a marble sunken bath and walk-in power shower. Suite 3 has a sunken bath in black granite; the Red Suite is extremely romantic.
Food and drink at Riad Farnatchi
- Hotel restaurant Just place your order for dinner (Moroccan cuisine) on any given day by 3pm: all produce is fresh from the market.
- Dress code As you please.
- Top table The dining room by candlelight.
- Room service 24 hours for drinks and breakfast. Kitchen closed 11pm–7am.
- Hotel bar Drinks can be brought to you wherever you like, round the clock.