Post Ranch Inn
- Style Dramatic cliffhanger
- Setting Redwood forest above the Pacific
WINNER: BEST SMITH HOTEL 2013 – SMITH HOTEL AWARDS 2013
The cabins and cottages at Post Ranch Inn are strung along a rocky-ridged slip of Californian cliff. These recycled-redwood rooms offer total seclusion and nothing but soaring condors, starry nights, breathtaking views and a wood-burning fire for company. The only reason to venture out from your peaks-and-Pacific isolation will be for some divine dining at Sierra Mar or a soothing treatment in the spa.
Need to know
- Rooms 39, including six suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $675.00, excluding tax at 10.5 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $2.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, CD and book library, free WiFi in the rooms and library. In rooms: CD player, iPod dock, handmade Post Ranch Inn bath products, bottled water and two half-bottles of wine.
- Poolside There are three heated infinity pools in the grounds – one lined with sea-weathered jade, a stainless steel one, and a lap pool by reception.
- Check–out 1pm. Check-in, 4pm.
Children Leave them at home - this hotel is only open to adults ages 18 and up.
- Also There’s a free minibar in the rooms, stocked with snacks and non-alcohol drinks.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Pfeiffer is a cocoon of redwood with a secluded setting at the end of the cabins. Other humans will be hard to come by – all you can see is sparkling ocean, wild flowers and trees. We love the triple veranda, and the re-used redwood lining the walls in Ross.
- Packing tips A journal so you scribble some verse – this land’s-end location is sure to make you come over all poetic.
- Also The spa makes all of its own products using Big Sur’s flowers, picked from the high meadows on the estate. Book in for a ‘duet massage’ and let four hands see to your aches and pains, or be brave and risk a soul-retrieving shaman session.
Food and drink at Post Ranch Inn
- Hotel restaurant Sierra Mar is a ranch-style restaurant with sweeping views of the mountains, cliffs and ocean, its wooden-beamed interior edged with enormous windows to showcase the sights. The acclaimed chef adds new dishes to the menu daily, whipping up Californian fare with some French and Mediterranean influences – look out for the trio of scallops, roast rabbit and Alaskan halibut.
- Dress code Match the views out of the window with a shot of ocean blue, aquamarine or turquoise.
- Top table As close to the window as you can get, or by the banquette in the centre by night.
- Last orders Breakfast is 8am–10.30am, lunch is 12.15pm–3pm and dinner is served up 5.30pm–8.45pm. The bar is open 12pm–3.15pm and 5.30pm–8.45pm.
- Room service You can order in room service between 12.15pm–8.45pm, choosing from the daily dinner menu or the room service one (encompassing pizzas, salads and burgers).
- Hotel bar There’s a bar in the restaurant. Be sure to try the lavender martini, made fresh from the organic garden.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details