Ponta dos Ganchos
- Style Jet-set jungle bungalows
- Setting Private-island peninsula
Ponta dos Ganchos is a private paradise on a secluded stretch of Southern Brazil where sunsets sparkle and breakfast lasts all day. This relaxed rainforest retreat is on its own peninsula, fringed by tropical trees, choppy shores and oyster farms, with plenty to keep you busy – a games room, cinema and a restorative spa.
Need to know
- Rooms 25 freestanding suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $741.29 (BRL1,750), excluding tax at 3 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional government tax of BRL4.26 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include daily breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, cinema, games room, gym, clay tennis court, CD, DVD and book library. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, bottled water, Nespresso coffee machine, L’Occitane bath products.
- Poolside Rooms have their own Jacuzzi or infinity pool, and there’s a heated pool inside for rainy days.
- Check–out 12 noon. Check-in, 2pm.
Children The rugged rainforest terrain makes this hotel unsuitable for mini Smiths.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each of the bungalows has a king-size bed, walk-in wardrobe and hammock on the veranda. Steam up in the sauna of a Super Luxo Bungalow then head out to the wooden deck for bubbles and bay views in the Jacuzzi. Or splash out, quite literally, on the Special Emerald Villa Bungalow – pick your own wines from its cellar, work out in its underground gym and notch up some laps in its infinity pool.
- Packing tips Leave your flipflops at home – the hotel supplies Havaianas, staple of Brazilian footwear, for all guests.
- Also Book in at the hotel's signature Spa Ponta dos Ganchos for reiki and reflexology by the water’s edge between 2pm and 8pm.
Food and drink at Ponta dos Ganchos
- Hotel restaurant The Beach Restaurant is carved from Amazonian woodwork with open balconies that look out to sea. Try the prawn on pumpkin or oyster moqueca (a stew cooked with garlic, chilli and coriander). Freshly caught seafood can be barbecued for you on the beach. At night, romance hangs from every leaf thanks to the shimmering candles and crystal lights. Breakfast is served all day in the games room – choose from 10 courses including fruit shots and bolinho de chuva (doughtnuts made with cinnamon).
- Dress code Loose linens to ease the tropical temperatures, especially between December and March.
- Top table The private island seats one couple a night – book ahead to make sure it’s you. Otherwise, opt for a table out on a balcony above the ocean.
- Last orders There are no set times for meals – the restaurant will stay open until the last guest leaves. The action in the bar and restaurant usually settles down by 1am.
- Room service Order in cheese plates, pizzas and pastas between 7am and 1am.
- Hotel bar You can get drinks in the main restaurant but there’s also a bar in the games room, where you can chill out to Brazilian beats before dinner. Be sure to try their take on a caipirinha – the Hook is made with Cachaça Gancheira, a bespoke Brazilian spirit, and Amazon-originating physalis.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details