Petra Segreta Resort & Spa
- Style Stylish stone stazzi
- Setting Sardinian hilltop hamlet
In a hillside hamlet amid juniper bushes, white granite boulders and Holm oaks, Petra Segreta Resort & Spa’s traditional stazzi farmhouse buildings offer charm and calm on the idyllic Costa Smeralda. This boutique hotel is a romantic retreat close to Olbia’s beautiful beaches. To sample the best of Sardinian cuisine, look no further than the hotel’s restaurant.
Need to know
- Rooms 15, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $160.60 (€118), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities The Wellness Centre Spa, fitness area, relaxation room, gardens, bridge room, free WiFi throughout, free parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, minibar, free bottled water, Etro toiletries.
- Poolside There is an outdoor, heated swimming pool with a pool bar, a solarium, multiple flumes and a Jacuzzi with a waterfall.
- Check–out 10am but flexible, subject to availability and a charge during busy periods (50 per cent of the cost of the room a night). Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children This hotel was designed with adults in mind – leave the little Smiths at home. However, cots can be provided for babies at €40 a night.
- Hotel closed 1 November to 1 April.
- Also The hotel is a no-pets-no-cigarettes zone.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Get back to nature in Deluxe Room 201, which has a shaded seating area, its bamboo roof supported by a craggy boulder. Inside, the muslin-draped whitewashed four-poster takes centre stage, and sturdy farmhouse-style furniture adds a homely feel against a palette of creamy, muted hues. The large ensuite has double sinks and a walk-in rain shower. Junior Suite 306 has whitewashed walls and a beamed ceiling, a private outside lounge area and indoors, a sitting area and two bathrooms (with bath and shower).
- Packing tips Swimwear for the spa; sketchpad and charcoals for boulder-and-beach doodles; a cool bag for wave-side picnics.
- Also Visit the Wellness Centre Spa and book an Itinerary: this bespoke beauty package includes an outdoor massage treatment.
Food and drink at Petra Segreta Resort & Spa
- Hotel restaurant Il Fuoco Sacro continues the hotel’s fabulous farmhouse style; its white walls and ceiling are punctuated with bamboo beams, and heavy oak tables stud the spacious dining area. Quirky lighting fashioned by local artists and a large stone fireplace add warmth. There’s also a veranda overlooking the Gulf, protected by a bamboo roof and dotted with linen-laid tables and chunky rattan chairs. Chef Luigi Bergeretto is a dab hand with clams. Try his signature fregola al frutti di mare – a Sardinian-style seafood risotto.
- Dress code Match the restaurant’s relaxed mood with cool, crisp linen in neutral shades.
- Top table Sit at the back of the panoramic veranda, by the rough-cut wall and admire the Gulf views as you eat.
- Last orders The restaurant serves breakfast from 7.30am–10.30am; lunch from 12.30pm–2.30pm and dinner from 8pm–10.30pm; the pool bar quenches guests’ thirst from noon until midnight.
- Room service A selection from the restaurant menu is available 8am–10am and 8pm–10pm.
- Hotel bar The Pool Bar, with its shaded veranda, is a refreshing little drinking hole. Sit overlooking the pool and gardens and mark the sunset with a glass of moscato. A soundtrack of lounge music is as chilled as the countryside-at-dusk views.