- Style Design-fan’s dream
- Setting Steps from Syntagma Square
New Hotel is an arty party pad in central Athens. It might be in a Modernist Fifties building, but it’s completely cutting edge inside, courtesy of the Campana brothers and their eye-poppingly daring design. Expect slick staff, a restaurant serving food that’s as original as the decor and frequent fun nods to Greek culture.
Need to know
- Rooms 79, including seven suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $187.86 (€138), excluding tax at 7.03 per cent.
- More details Buffet breakfast is usually included in the rates.
- Facilities Spa with hammam and treatment rooms, gym, smoking room and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV with film library, iPod dock, minibar and Apivita bath products. Junior Suites and the Penthouse Suite have a PlayStation 3, Blu-Ray players and Kiehl’s bath products.
- Poolside There’s no pool, but a roof terrace is in the pipeline.
- Check–out Noon. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children There are highchairs in the restaurant, and staff will gladly heat up baby milk or food.
- Also The communal areas are accessible for wheelchair users and one room has been adapted.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms For an awe-inspiring glimpse of the Acropolis (though the best-view prize has to go to the Penthouse, for its 180-degree span of the ancient monument), book into Room 604, which also has an interesting Campana-brothers armchair, made from cobbled-together hunks of old wood. Rooms on the fifth and sixth floors are quieter and will have access to the exclusive Executive Lounge on the top floor once it’s opened.
- Packing tips Your most stylish statement pieces, so the decor doesn’t outdo you in the talking-point stakes.
- Also The New Sense spa has a hammam, treatment room and Jacuzzi. If you've come from further afield, book in for a bespoke remedy treatment for jet lag. For couples, the spa special is a hammam for two, champagne in a bubble bath for one as the other has a hot-shell massage and then aromatic facial masks each.
Food and drink at New Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Contemporary and cool New Taste serves seasonal food in a sleek setting: round wooden tables, hanging gold lampshades and artfully mismatched chairs. The emphasis is on fresh, good quality and often organic ingredients. The Mediterranean cuisine includes dishes such as wild sea-bass, artichoke and herb risotto, and a trio of mini burgers (a classic, one with a sweet-chilli relish, and another with gorgonzola and tomato chutney. There’s an on-site bakery, so expect oven-fresh pastries and bread, displayed in abundance on tiered shelves.
- Dress code Artistically avant-garde.
- Top table Sit by the windows as onlookers pass enviously by.
- Last orders The restaurant opens for breakfast at 7am and keeps serving food right up until midnight. The bar keeps similar closing hours, but its doors at noon.
- Room service The entire restaurant menu is available from 7am until midnight, when a briefer list takes over.
- Hotel bar There's a bar area in the restaurant where speciality cocktails are on offer, including watermelon martinis and lychee mojitos.