Metropolitan by Como, Bangkok
- Style Manicured minimalism
- Setting Sparkling South Sathorn streets
Exclusive retreat the Metropolitan by Como, Bangkok hotel attracts a very discerning brand of guest – fashionistas, film stars, designers and well-heeled, sharp-dressed urbanites ornament the bright, makha-wooded lobby. It’s clear: from the sleekly sophisticated healthy all-day diner Glow to respected Thai restaurant Nahm and the wine-dark depths of the Met bar, this is where you go to get noticed.
Need to know
- Rooms 171, including 22 suites, four two-bedroom penthouses and a presidential ‘fiefdom’.
- Rates Double rooms from $163.98, excluding tax at 17.7 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, but include yoga classes.
- Facilities Spa (including gym, steam rooms, hydro-pool and yoga studios), hair salon, limousine/car hire, valet parking, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: cable TV, CD player and library, minibar, fruit, yoga mat.
- Poolside The palm-fringed 20-metre lap pool is overlooked by the restaurant and lined with inviting loungers.
- Check–out 2pm.
Children Under-12s stay for free in their parents’ rooms. Cots are available and babysitting can be arranged.
- Also Get the Met staff to put together a personalised boutique shopping itinerary for you, taking the stress out of street-schlepping.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Simple juxtapositions of white walls and dark woods abound, as do splendidly oversized limestone-mosaic bathrooms. Bypass the petite City Rooms in favour of the larger, yet still affordable, Studio Rooms and Metropolitan Rooms, which have king-size beds and bathrooms with separate tubs and showers. Or, plump for a Terrace Suite to enjoy the evening air on your private patio.
- Packing tips Your most flattering designer swimwear – if Kylie or Colin Farrell are dining in the restaurant, you’ll want to give them a worthwhile eyeful as you sashay to the pool.
- Also On the first floor, the Como Shambhala spa – source of the bathroom goodies in your room – offers a variety of spirit-soothing, body-buffing holistic treatments, including reflexology and yoga-inspired Thai massage. Free yoga is available should you need a morning stretch (pick up stylish yoga wear in the spa boutique if you've forgotten to bring your own).
Food and drink at Metropolitan by Como, Bangkok
- Hotel restaurant With a voyeur’s view of the poolside and a gourmet’s grasp of rare, regional Thai cuisine, the hotel's sleek ground-floor restaurant Nahm, headed up by esteemed Australian chef David Thompson, tops every visiting epicure’s to-do list, with treats such as jungle curry with pla chorn (a freshwater fish). Crisp, white eatery, Glow, beside the spa, presents a lighter selection of healthy organic snacks and smoothies for breakfast and all-day dining.
- Dress code Off-duty diva.
- Top table On Nahm's terrace by the pool – beautiful food to eat; beautiful people to feast your eyes on – or book one of its private dining rooms for a special occasion.
- Last orders Glow is open until 9pm; Nahm holds court for lunch and dinner. The Met Bar offers snacky Thai food till 11pm.
- Room service Tasty Thai treats can be brought to your room 24 hours a day, and in-room massages can be requested while the spa is open.
- Hotel bar Exclusive to members and guests, the Met Bar is a sultry club-land lounge that hums to a laid-back DJ beat until 1am. The staggering cocktail menu, crafted by trained mixologists, boasts more than 40 different martinis.