- Style Parisian apartment
- Setting Ocean-view ramparts
With a built-in wooden bookshelf acting as reception desk, hotel shop and concierge, Madada Mogador feels more like an enormous private Parisian apartment. Five of the tadelakt bedrooms are off the central sand-coloured salon, with a staircase leading to two more. The uninterrupted sea views of the upstairs rooms must be the best in Essaouira.
Need to know
- Rooms Five rooms (three rooms with ocean view, two rooms with medina view), a junior suite and a suite both with an ocean view
- Rates Double rooms from $143.91 (€105), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €2.50 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Library, board games, WiFi, iPod dock, a treatment room with views of the bay for massages and manicures, and cook services if required.
- Check–out Midday.
Children Children are warmly welcome, though the layout of the hotel doesn’t make it particularly suitable. Under-twos are not charged for; there is a cot available, and babysitting at about €10 an evening.
- Hotel closed
- Also No pets. Smoking allowed. Try your hand at tajines with a two-hour lesson in Moroccan cookery, taught in either French or English, and culminating in a two-course meal. The cookery classes are held in L'Atelier Madada, a former almond warehouse.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The Madada room opens onto the ramparts, with private terrace and tadelakt and aged brass in the bathroom. Warm-red Sabra room has a bath in the room and club armchairs; Assala room has a wall-sized bedhead and big ivory tadelakt tub.
- Also The annual Gnawa Festival happens the last week of June every year, and the area around the hotel can be quite busy and noisy.
Food and drink at Madada Mogador
- Hotel restaurant La Table by Madada, right beneath the hotel, is an arched, bistro-etyle eatery with a menu that draws heavily from Essaoira's seafood-rich waters.
- Dress code Whatever you like lounging in.
- Last orders After Five takes last orders at about 10.30pm
- Room service Snack service during the afternoon until 7pm: paninis, omelettes, salade niçoise.
- Hotel bar You can order drinks in the informal lobby or on the roof terrace.