Lion Sands, Ivory Lodge
- Style Boutique bushveld
- Setting Extraordinary plain
In South Africa's famous Kruger National Park, each villa at Lions Sands, Ivory Lodge has a private pool and luxurious interiors. There's a telescope for viewing animals or the African starscape from your deck; and game drives and safari walks get you close to some of the world's most magnificent wildlife in a totally pristine habitat.
Need to know
- Rooms Six villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $1780.73 (ZAR18,491), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include all meals and most drinks, transfers to and from Skukuza airport, two game drives every day and other wildlife activities such as escorted bush walks.
- Facilities CD, Internet, direct dial telephone, air-con and open fireplaces. Maxi bar (full-sized bottles) and snacks including biltong, chocolate, nougat and fruit.
- Poolside Each villa has a private pool. There is a telescope for viewing animals from deck.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible.
Children Over-10s are welcome; an extra bed is available. Over-12s pay the full adult price. A private Land Rover is recommended for family groups.
- Also Guests can have massages and treatments at the hotel's Lalamuka Health Spa or in their villa. Park entrance fees are not included; guests on self drives will have to pay R110–R120 for their vehicle and R20–R30 a person.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The villa nearest the river has the best views and a little bit of extra privacy – it's often given to honeymooning couples.
- Packing tips Bring sturdy, ankle-length thick-soled boots for bush walking. Sun cream and a hat are recommended. Bring a warm fleece in winter for night safaris.
Food and drink at Lion Sands, Ivory Lodge
- Hotel restaurant Breakfast and lunch are normally served on the lower wooden viewing deck, but lunch can also be served in your villa. Dinner options are fine dining indoors or a buffet in the outdoor boma under the stars. Meals are also be served in the bush.
- Dress code Relaxed and comfortable. Practical clothing for safaris (preferably not in neon colours).
- Top table Outside on the deck, under the stars.
- Last orders Lunch is served 1pm–3.30pm; afternoon tea from 4pm; dinner from 7.30pm. The bar closes when the last guest leaves.
- Hotel bar All drinks are included in the room rate, except premium brands and champagne.