- Style Balinese-boho beach cottages
- Setting Green hills, white sands
When the owner is a former Prada consultant and the interior designer’s back catalogue features Armani’s villa, you just know that Laluna hotel in Grenada will offer something special. And it does – pool-equipped Balinese cottages with a minimalist focus on the functional – big, floaty four-posters that look every bit as enticing as the clear turquoise waters of the Caribbean.
Need to know
- Rooms 16 cottages.
- Rates Double rooms from $395.00, excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (US$25).
- Facilities Pool, spa and yoga centre, small gym, library, DVD selection, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: TV, iPod dock, minibar, Bellora bedlinen, monk-made Italian toiletries.
- Poolside Right down by the beach, Laluna’s square main pool is winged by lounger-adorned wooden decking, upon which you can relax with a good book, an ocean view, and a chilled glass of prosecco from the shaded open-air bar. Each room has a private plunge pool.
- Check–out 1pm; an even later check-out is possible, depending on subsequent bookings.
Children Over-14s are welcome, but pay the full adult rate.
- Eco‐friendly Laluna is closely involved with Grenada’s turtle conservation programmes, as well as beach clean-up operations.
- Also The hotel is largely open to the air, so smoking is allowed throughout. The Sanctuary spa has two Balinese masseuses and offers Hatha, Vinyasa, Kundalini and Yin yoga sessions.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms High on the hill, cottages 11 and 12 afford spectacular views of the crystal waters of the bay below. Lower down, Laluna’s beachfront cottage is just 40 feet from the water’s edge, meaning that you can start each day by sauntering from your floaty-draped four-poster bed to the sea. All cottages come with plunge pools on their veranda.
- Packing tips Insect repellent – mosquitoes can be an issue. Take a kite along to blustery, buffety Bathway Beach to the northeast and try your luck wrestling with the winds.
- Also Grab some of Laluna’s snorkelling gear and take to the waves – the undersea spectacle in these diamond-clear waters is unmissable.
Food and drink at Laluna
- Hotel restaurant A hand-crafted woven palm roof caps the open-air dining area, propped up with rough-hewn tree-trunk beams. The hotel’s Calabrian owner imports fresh food and wine from Italy, meaning there’s always olives, pasta, prosciutto and the like available.
- Dress code Star-spangled glamour: an assortment of A-listers have holidayed here.
- Top table Secure a table for two in the corner nearest the pool and the ocean, where you can feel as though you’ve got the whole place to yourselves.
- Last orders The restaurant’s open throughout the day until 10pm; the bar until 11pm.
- Room service Snacks, drinks and meals can be brought to your cottage from 8am until 9pm.
- Hotel bar Shaded by a thatched roof, the Sunset Bar by the beach is a chilled Balinese living room affair, with day beds aplenty and sofas galore. Its predominantly Italian wine list is impressively extensive.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details