- Style Ivy-clad Italian manor
- Setting Winery wonderland
High on a vine-lined hilltop in Lombardy, L’Albereta is an ivy-masked villa with more classic Italian glamour than a Fellini film. With a superb spa, two wineries to its name and impeccable service, it’s a haven for gastronomes and massage fans alike. Let the award-winning Espace Vitalité Henri Chenot cure your ills, the local Brut please your palate and the welcoming staff take care of everything else.
Need to know
- Rooms 57.
- Rates Double rooms from $323.98 (€236), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast. Access to the spa is costs €25 a day.
- Facilities Spa with 14 treatment rooms, tennis courts, fitness classes, DVD library, free WiFi. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, CD player, minibar, blackout curtains, Etro toiletries.
- Poolside Splash in the family-friendly, heated, indoor pool in the Bellavista Tower or lounge by the adults-only pool in the spa area.
- Check–out noon. Check-in: from 3pm.
Children Welcome. Baby cots for children up to three are available for free; extra beds for children up to 12 are €66 a night.
- Also Dogs are welcome for €30 a night; water bowls and pet rugs are available.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Hit a switch in the Cabriolet Suite and the roof opens up to let the Brescian sun warm your king-size bed below. The suite also has a balcony facing Lake Iseo.
- Packing tips A notepad, to keep track of your favourites from the wine list.
- Also Curl up in the tiny Sala Scacchi, just off the lobby: it’s got a grand fireplace stacked with heraldic finery, high ceilings, the building’s original frescoes and an intimate, cosy atmosphere.
Food and drink at L'Albereta
- Hotel restaurant Stellar chef Gualtiero Marchesi was the first Italian to be awarded three Michelin stars… and then famously fell out with the gastronomic guide and promptly ‘returned’ them. He’s now serving up pristine modern Italian cuisine in L’Albereta’s romantic Gualtiero Marchesi Restaurant. Calorie counters needn’t miss out – Marchesi’s team also oversee the menu at the finely furnished Wellness Restaurant, reserved for guests using the spa. (Gualtiero Marchesi Restaurant is closed Sundays and Mondays.)
- Dress code L’Albereta’s comfortably glamorous: after a day being pampered in the spa, slip into your heels for dinner.
- Top table In Gualtiero Marchesi Restaurant, choose between a table by the kitchen’s glass wall to watch some gastronomic theatre as you dine, or by the window for a vineyard view.
- Last orders Start your day in Italian style with croissants and a cappuccino in the Library Lounge, which opens at 7am. Head back to the library for a nightcap: drinks are poured until 1am.
- Room service Room service is available 7.30am–10.30am for breakfast, 12.30pm–2pm for lunch and 7.30pm–10pm for dinner. Snack on cold cuts, cheeses and fruit, or tuck in to more substantial pasta, risotto, fish or meat dishes.
- Hotel bar Sip expertly mixed cocktails in your cosy armchair in the Library Lounge, or take your glass of local wine out to one of the library’s three terraces.