- Style Breezy beach house
- Setting Chocolate-box Cornish village
Situated on Cornwall’s often-overlooked southern coast, between picturesque St Mawes and the rolling fields spliced with public footpaths leading to Falmouth. A former yachting club, Hotel Tresanton was built from a cluster of old houses in the Fifties, hence its higgledy-piggledy levels and port-town setting. Since the 1999 reopening, after an extensive refurbishment, the hotel reflects the style credentials of owner Olga Polizzi and her A-list clientele.
Need to know
- Rooms 31, including 12 with a terrace, one with a garden, and three family suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $340.15 (£208), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast. A minimum two-night stay is required at weekends.
- Facilities 50-person cinema. Hire Pinuccia, Tresanton’s 48-foot racing yacht with crew or a motorboat for beach trips with picnic lunches.
- Check–out 11am.
Children Very welcome. A full-time nanny organises activities for kids during the summer months. Babysitters can be booked in advance.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Room 1, and Room 29 in the Nook, are often booked by honeymooners; Rooms 5 and 6 are in the main building and both have a terrace; Room 7 has a particularly large window with a great view.
- Packing tips Beach shoes, binoculars, sou’wester if you’re feeling boaty.
- Also Sailing and windsurfing lessons can be arranged. Wellies and crabbing nets provided. DVDs and board games will keep you amused on rainy days.
Food and drink at Hotel Tresanton
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant specialises in fish and other local and organic produce. Breakfast is served until 10.30am.
- Dress code People definitely make a bit of an effort in the evening.
- Top table Weather permitting, book a table on the terrace; otherwise, a window table.
- Last orders Kitchen closes at 9.30pm; after that, a cold supper can be arranged. The bar is open late.
- Room service All night, within reason.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details