Hotel Lous Grits
- Style Hôtel de charme
- Setting Mediaeval Marsolan
Hôtel Lous Grits in the Gers is a hilltop haven run by a mother and daughter team, who found this countryside manor, and made it a heartfelt, handcrafted home.
Need to know
- Rooms Five, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $289.44 (€210), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€20).
- Facilities Le SPA, free WiFi and library of books, music and films. In rooms: CD/DVD player, free bottled water and Yves Delorme bath products.
- Check–out Midday, or later if there’s availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Cots can be added free; extra beds will set you back €30. Local nannies can be drafted in for €15–€20. Two of the rooms (Balaguero and Miejournal) can be interconnected for a family.
- Also The hotel's spa is open from 11am to 6pm, offering massages, facials, Balneotherapy (a relaxing, holistic bathing treatment), a dry and wet sauna and essential oil therapies (all treatments are by appointment only).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The dreamiest views come courtesy of Armarijo and Contoleso, where you'd be happy pulling up a chair and simply gazing at the countryside for entertainment. For space, go for Soulano; it's just made for lounging in.
- Packing tips A conversational companion you really like: this quiet hideaway is several blissful miles from the nearest neighbour, and you’ll be spending plenty of time à deux.
Food and drink at Hotel Lous Grits
- Hotel restaurant Dinner is cooked for guests on request, by Marie, the owner's daughter, who invites you to join the family dinner in palatial surroundings at 8pm for €40 each (without drinks). There are five tables (one for each bedroom). The menu uses local produce when it's at its best, and not just for food: in the autumn, hollowed-out pumpkins double as soup bowls. It's all hearty and home-made (Marie makes a mean chocolate soufflé).
- Dress code Layered and luxurious, with sensible, mediaeval-village-friendly footwear.
- Top table The corner tables near the fireplace are the most snug and secluded.
- Last orders Breakfast is available until midday, dinner and drinks from 8pm until midnight.
- Room service Dinner can be served in-room between 8pm and midnight.
- Hotel bar The bar hosts the only flatscreen TV for miles, and this one plays an old silent movie. It's cosy, so settle in for an after-dinner Armagnac.