- Style Ocean-liner elegance
- Setting No-worry, no-hurry ancient port
Built into the medina walls, Heure Bleue hotel is an oasis of luxe in laid-back, countercultural Essaouira, the old hang-out of Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley. Dripping with heavy carvings, fabrics, lamps and wooden-shuttered windows, rooms are cavernous, sumptuous and luxurious.
Need to know
- Rooms 19 suites, 16 rooms.
- Rates Double rooms from $211.82 (€155), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities TV and DVD in-room, WiFi throughout. Billiards room. Gorgeous hammam with a cushion-decked relaxation room, spa and beauty treatments (in-room on request), home cinema room.
- Poolside The heated rooftop pool is surrounded by decking; there are wooden sunloungers, with parasols to loll under.
- Check–out Midday.
Children Cots and high chairs available. Children aged three to 12 can share parents’ room if staying in a Senior Suite.
- Also Book ahead for private use of the screening room. There are books everywhere for your pleasure, and a DVD library, or bring your own favourites. No pets.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Rooms on upper floors have good views of the old harbour. For a bathtub, book a suite: standard rooms only have showers. Most suites also have fireplaces separating the bedrooms from the sitting areas. The Oriental Suites are a sensuous deep red.
- Packing tips Sunscreen. Essaouira is famously windswept, which can make the sun seem mild when it isn’t.
Food and drink at Heure Bleue
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant serves Moroccan and international food, which is predominantly French cuisine, with Moroccan flavours; seafood is a speciality.
- Dress code Jacket and Led Zep T-shirt for him, boho chic for her.
- Top table The restaurant sits alongside the courtyard. Ask for a table next to the abundant greenery.
- Last orders 3pm for lunch; 9.30pm for dinner.
- Room service Large choice of sandwiches, salads and light snacks. Available from 6am till midnight. There are no mini-bars, but staff are in attendance 24/7.
- Hotel bar Open 3pm–midnight.