- Style Comfy country château for all the family
- Setting Salty Cornish coast
Commanding sweeping views of Fowey's river estuary, port and the sea, this small, charming and unpretentious luxury family-focused hotel on the south coast of Cornwall was the original inspiration for Toad Hall in The Wind in the Willows. Its French furniture, Wilton carpets and fine oak-panelled dining room give it a traditional but relaxed and intimate feel. A croquet lawn, indoor pool, interconnecting suites, and nearby beaches and sailing make Fowey Hall hotel ideal for wannabe sea dogs and fun family escapes.
Need to know
- Rooms 36 rooms, including 12 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $204.69 (£125), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast for adults and under-twos go free; for 2–7-year-olds it costs £5; £7.50 for 8–11-year-olds and £10 for under-16s.
- Facilities Spa, walled gardens, croquet lawn, crèche, playground, Nintendo Wiis with games, table football, table tennis, laundry service, library and DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, free bottled water, tea- and coffee-making facilities, fluffy bathrobes and slippers.
- Poolside Fowey's spa features a heated indoor pool and there's a hot tub to bubble in outside on the decking.
- Check–out 11am (but flexible, subject to availability). Check-in is 3pm.
Children Fowey has excellent family facilities (connected rooms, crèche, baby-listening, highchairs, swimming instructor, games room…). Under-16s can stay free in parents' rooms and pay only for their food, and have a high tea so adults can dine alone.
- Also Dogs are accepted in some rooms for £10 a night – let the hotel know in advance if you plan on bringing your pet.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All rooms are well appointed; a few have roll-top baths. The 15 in the main house are wonderfully decorated, with traditional furnishings. Rooms on the first floor are larger, with high ceilings, red colour schemes and WiFi; the John Hanson and Charles Hanson have rolltop baths, and the latter has particularly lovely views. Second-floor turret rooms (Robin, Niles, Lamerton and Hoskin) are characterful and have fabulous views. The 12 rooms in the new Garden Wing connected to the main house all have estuary views and are more contemporary in feel; they're ideal if you have toddlers. Eight Court rooms are set in the original coach house, a minute away from the main house.
- Packing tips Wellingtons for long walks with Werther the dog; bucket and spade for days on the beach; cosy knits for the fireside.
- Also If you're going for a special occasion or birthday, let Fowey Hall know in advance and they can arrange flowers, champagne and cakes or home-made chocolates. A fridge can be provided in your room on request. Private swimming lessons can be arranged.
Food and drink at Fowey Hall
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant at Fowey Hall has a menu filled with fresh seafood and local Cornish produce – the Tywardreath pork and Camel Valley Sparkling wine from a nearby vineyard go particularly well together. It's popular with locals and hotel guests alike, so be sure to book ahead for dinner.
- Dress code It's safe to leave your Manolos and Savile Row tailoring at home; this child-friendly hotel is somewhere you can completely relax.
- Top table Nab a table by the fire to warm up after a bracing walk on the beach, or table 6 or 8 by the window for views over the river; in summer, head outside for a spot on the verandah to enjoy a pre-dinner drink.
- Last orders The restaurant opens 7am–10am for breakfast and 12 noon–2pm for lunch. Afternoon tea is served 2–5pm and dinner is 6–9pm.
- Room service Hot and cold drinks are available round the clock; you can order hot and cold food from the menu when the restaurant kitchen is open. Mineral water and home-made biscuits are provided in your room, too.
- Hotel bar There's no bar, but you can take a drink to the Snug or a cosy corner of the house and settle down to admire the view – or each other.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details