Etnia Pousada and Boutique
- Style Jungle gem
- Setting Hipsters’ hang-out Trancoso
Bahia’s peaceful fishing village of Trancoso’s been a choice destination for wanderlust-struck creative types since the Seventies, but Etnia Pousada and Boutique ups the luxe a notch, offering eight woodland bungalows each styled with a different ethnic influence. In the hands of anyone other than the fashionista/design guru owners, it could all slip into kitsch, but smart, sensitive style prevails – together with an air of absolute serenity and back-to-nature bliss.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight bungalows.
- Rates Double rooms from $150.17 (BRL359), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Massage treatments, personal trainer, library, furniture and antiques boutique, free WiFi in all rooms. In rooms: TV, minibar.
- Poolside Occupying a clearing in the lush flora beside the open-air restaurant/chill-out area, Etnia’s pool is surrounded by cosy sun chairs.
- Check–out Midday, although both check-in and check-out are flexible, depending on availability.
Children Although extra beds can be arranged (at 30 per cent of the room rate for a third person; 40 per cent for a fourth), the hotel is a decidedly grown-up playground.
- Also Three-night minimum stay. Rates increase for the Christmas and New Year periods.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Etnia’s bungalows are dotted around the woodland and linked by paved pathways, so each offers plenty of privacy. They’re all styled according to a different geographic theme, with spacious Gipsy decorated with a Romanyish blue and red palette and including an endearingly kitsch Madonna statuette among its ornaments. Goa, by contrast, offers a stylised slice of hippy India, and Trancoso evokes the local village, with simple murals of rural buildings and a wooden four-poster. A smaller bungalow, Kyoto conjures Japanese minimalism in red and white and unlike the others, features a futon bed.
- Packing tips Insect repellent never goes amiss in these tropical climes, but otherwise just make sure you’ve a stock of holiday reading to skim through, some Haiavanas to flip-flop around in, and a mind for some serious relaxation.
- Also A trained masseur is on hand to soothe your joints with a Watsu massage (water therapy), and the hotel’s own personal trainer runs free Aqua gym sessions three days a week.
Food and drink at Etnia Pousada and Boutique
- Hotel restaurant The freshest fish, classic Mediterranean-fusion creations and chicken dishes dominate the lunch menu at Etnia’s open-air poolside restaurant. In the evening, take your pick of the restaurants in Trancoso’s Quadrado (main square), or head to sister hotel Etnia Clube de Mar, which has a beachfront restaurant that is open from breakfast through dinner, and can charge meals to the room.
- Dress code Brazilian boho-chic.
- Top table Sit out in the breeze on the decking around the pool.
- Last orders Etnia only offers (excellent) breakfast and lunch, but snacks are available until 10pm.
- Room service The kitchen can prepare light meals and nibbles to be delivered to your bungalow throughout the day.
- Hotel bar A selection of drinks, including three locally made wines, is available from the restaurant area, but you’re more likely to make the two-minute stroll into Trancoso, which has plenty of tempting watering holes.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details