- Style All white now
- Setting Playa’s party central
People don’t come to Deseo to get away from it all, they come to be in the thick of the action. Slick, minimalist, and almost all-white in design, the hotel is one of Playa del Carmen’s top night-time attractions, with a poolside lounge bar that mixes some of the best drinks – and tracks – in town. Although perfect for lazy poolside sun-soaking during the day, at night the hotel assumes a mantle of clubland sophistication, making it one of the most trendy, vibrant boutique hotels in Mexico.
Need to know
- Rooms 15, including three suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $135.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Library, massage room, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: sound system, minibar, Kiehl’s toiletries.
- Poolside The hotel’s pool area doubles as a club lounge at night, with huge sky-blue day-beds to sprawl on and billowy cotton canopies offering respite from the relentless sun.
- Check–out 1pm, although later check-out may be available on request.
Children Deseo is definitely for grown-ups: no under-18s allowed.
- Also Pets stay free, but there’s no specific canine catering.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The five balcony rooms each have hammocks for lounging in while you soak up the inimitable Playa atmosphere, and rooms 7 and 15 boast the best views of the town. Suites have big bath tubs and day-beds by the window, but whichever room you choose, bear in mind they’re all situated around the bar and the sound of midnight oil-burners does permeate.
- Packing tips If you’re not a diehard partygoer, earplugs are essential – although the Deseo DJ’s decks die down at 1am, the club nearby keeps kicking until dawn. You’ll find a beach bag, sarong, sunhat and flip-flops in your room – all available to buy.
- Also Although Deseo’s not on the beach, you can sun yourself on the Caribbean sands with free access to a nearby beach club.
Food and drink at Deseo
- Hotel restaurant There’s no restaurant, but you’ll find a self-service breakfast bar beside the pool, offering fruit, yoghurt and cereals. The bar itself serves a selection of Modern tapas until the early hours. Talking of tapas, the Glass Bar, on Calle 12 in Playa del Carmen (+52 984 803 1676) is a glamorous spot for people watching, with its floor-to-ceiling windows. The Italian dishes (past treats include scallops in parma ham crust and lentils, and cocoa-stuffed ravioli with sausage and black truffle) and tapas are as seductive as the wine selection.
- Dress code Bronzed bikini-chic.
- Top table Grab a day-bed by the pool and enjoy a lingering, loungey breakfast.
- Last orders Tapas is available until 1am, when the bar closes.
- Hotel bar Deseo’s pool-deck bar is by day the perfect place to nurse a hangover, and by night the perfect place to ensure you get one. Attracting a young and energetic crowd of Playa party animals, it mixes fantastic cocktails and hip dance tunes.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details