- Style Light, contemporary, buzzy
- Setting Lofty ex-schoolhouse
Amsterdam's College Hotel is easy on the eye and on the wallet. Imagine if an interior decorator from the East-meets-West school of design had been let loose at a posh prep school – the building has wonderfully high ceilings that reinforce its college credentials, a surprisingly relaxed elegant bar and a hugely popular restaurant occupies the former assembly hall. One important fact: rather appropriately, each member of staff is a student.
Need to know
- Rooms 40, including two suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $173.27 (€126), excluding tax at 6 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of 5.5% per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Flatscreen TV and free WiFi throughout.
- Check–out 12 noon , but flexible during the week.
Children Cots provided at no extra charge. Roll-away bed (€65) and a babysitter are available on request.
- Also In-room massages are available on request. Parking, €45 a day. Bike rental, €21 a day.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Room 123 is a double with a cute bay window looking onto the interior courtyard, with the bedroom on another level. Room 116 is a very spacious double room. Our favourite suite is room 101, with a freestanding bath in the middle of the bathroom.
- Also It is important to note that the staff is comprised of hospitality-industry students, so you may have to find yourself 'bearing with them'; service is not always the slickest.
Food and drink at College Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Located in the former school gymnasium, with food inspired by the golden age of Dutch cuisine and given a contemporary twist.
- Dress code Understated, easy.
- Top table Any near the big windows.
- Last orders Lunch: 14h. Dinner: 22h.
- Room service 24 hours: restaurant menu, with snack menu from 23h.
- Hotel bar The lounge bar specialises in Dutch cocktails with ingredients such as cinnamon and apple. It officially closes at 1h, but there’s always someone on hand.