- Style Sybaritic sea-view simplicity
- Setting A crest over Camps Bay
Atlantic House is a five-star guesthouse perched on the slopes of the Twelve Apostles in Camps Bay along Cape Town's Atlantic seaboard, and it truly is a haven of simplicity and style. It appears to be a smart residential property; inside, too, it has the charming air of being a private home. 'Boutique' isn't quite the right word to describe a hideaway such as this, since it doesn't convey that it is an elegant, calm space in which to relax and unwind. It's the sort of place an international business traveller weary of posh hotels would consider an antidote, and a retreat an attention-shy celebrity would adore.
Need to know
- Rooms Five.
- Rates Double rooms from $176.37 (ZAR1,842), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa treatments, air-conditioning, satellite TV, DVD/CD player, wireless Internet, minibars, off-street parking. Sightseeing tours and airport shuttles can be arranged.
- Poolside There's a pool surrounded by wooden decking set in the hotel's lush landscaped gardens.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible when possible. Guests are offered all-day luggage storage, use of the lounge and pool, and usually access to a shower room.
Children Only aged 13 and over.
- Also No smoking in rooms.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All rooms are priced the same. The one recommended for honeymooners has a bigger bathroom. Two are sea-facing with a balcony; one is sea-facing with a deck by the pool; the mountain-view room has its own private garden and open-air shower.
- Packing tips You're only five minutes' walk from the sea so, if you're there in summer, take all your beach requisites – but remember a light jacket for boat trips and mountain walks. Camps Bay is where the rich live and play, so bring some bling.
Food and drink at Atlantic House
- Hotel restaurant A fresh, light, inventive breakfast is served in a stylish pool-view dining room. No lunch or dinner, but Atlantic House can arrange for caterers to prepare a menu of your choice, served in your room, outside on a deck, or in the dining room.
- Dress code Cape Town is all about casual.
- Top table The best place is next to the rim-flow pool on the front patio overlooking Camps Bay (weather permitting). Private meals may be served in the dining room or, if your room has one, on its balcony.
- Last orders Breakfasts are a treat: full English and Continental are served daily. Mealtimes are flexible.
- Room service A delivery service can bring food from local restaurants and takeaway outlets until 9pm, and picnic hampers can be ordered.
- Hotel bar An honesty bar is open day and night; it includes a fantastic selection of wines.