- Style Film-star fabulous
- Setting Foodie-friendly San Sebastián
The cinema-themed Astoria7 is a motion picture of a boutique hotel in San Sebastián, where every room is dedicated to a movie legend. Go to bed with Glenn Close, Dennis Hopper or Julie Christie, among others. Interiors are sleek and bright, with retro furniture and pistachio-, cloud- or coffee-coloured walls. Beyond the red-carpeted lobby, there’s a ’70s-style lounge where even the library is movie-themed.
Need to know
- Rooms 102, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $128.34 (€94), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Fitness room, free WiFi throughout, DVD and book libraries, concierge. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, laptop-accommodating safe and minibar.
- Check–out 12pm. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Welcome; cots available for free, extra beds for €42.80. The hotel has connecting family rooms with the same entrance hall. A nanny can be drafted in (with a month’s notice) to babysit for €12 an hour.
- Also Smoking is allowed in some areas and rooms; no pets. Two-night minimum stay required at Easter, 8–15 August and during the city’s film festival (September).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We hate to make it personal when it comes to Hollywood, but, as far as Astoria7 is concerned, it’s got to be Alfred. The Alfred Hitchcock suite on the top floor has its own ceiling-stowed projector and screen, as well as a separate lounge, large balcony and a cinema library. For lone rangers, some of the single rooms on the ninth floor have almost-double beds and their own balcony.
- Packing tips Paparazzi-evading sunglasses – and Mrs Smith should channel Audrey or Grace with Tiffany jewels and satin headscarves.
Food and drink at Astoria7 Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Start the day with fresh pastries, charcuterie and local cheeses in the breakfast room, among photos of the A-list wining and dining in San Sebastián. The restaurant's menu lets you do the casting: pick ingredients, how they're cooked and what garnishes them.
- Room service Call down between 1pm and 10.30pm.
- Hotel bar The Astoria7 cafeteria is next to the breakfast room, and gets packed out with coffee-drinking, cig-happy locals by midday.