Alila Villas Soori
- Style Sleek sea-kissed sanctuary
- Setting Volcanic sand, jade-green rice paddies
On the wild, less visited shores of south-west Bali, a new level of luxury has arrived with Alila Villas Soori. Architecturally accomplished and sublimely minimalist villas – ranging in size from one to 10 bedrooms – each have their own pool and courtyard overlooking the cerulean Indian Ocean. The natural setting between verdant rice paddies and shimmering volcanic-sand beach has been enhanced by lush gardens and reflective ponds. Add a slick spa, decadent dining options and service from personal hosts and you're in pamper paradise.
Need to know
- Rooms 48 pool villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $565.00, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
- More details Breakfast is extra at US$25 a person.
- Facilities WiFi throughout, library, spa, gym, bicycles, gift shop. In rooms: personal host service, flatscreen TV, preloaded Apple TV, iPod dock, Spa Alila toiletries, minibar, espresso machine.
- Poolside At the resort’s heart, lies a sleek 25m infinity pool with four submerged day-beds at the shallow end.
- Check–out Officially noon, but late departures can be accommodated. Check-in, 3pm.
Children Younger guests are welcome in these divine natural surroundings. Baby cots are free, and although extra beds can’t be added to rooms, the villa’s sofa can be made up for children up to 12 years old to sleep on. Babysitting costs about US$16 an hour.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
- Eco‐friendly Green innovations include aligning buildings to encourage natural light but minimise heat gain, natural cooling through fresh air circulation, and planting indigenous vegetation. The hotel supports eco work in the community, too.
- Also Smoking is permitted outdoors. Sunscreen, after-sun gel, lip balm and mosquito repellent are provided in-room as part of your chic 'his' and 'hers' toiletry sets.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All the sublime minimalist pads enjoy ocean views, but book into a second-storey Ocean Pool Villa for a blue bonus: a sea-view bath tub. Villas 202 to 206 are best positioned to maximise the postcard-perfect panorama.
- Packing tips Women will need to cover their shoulders at nearby temples, otherwise Odabash bikinis and floaty Heidi Klein numbers should do the trick. Bring closed shoes, or your own hard hat, if you're planning on horse-riding.
- Also Spa treatments don't have to be an extravagance, as US$200 a day buys you unlimited sessions at Spa Alila during your stay. The classic Balinese Massage is hard to beat, or splash out on the luxurious Journey to You, a full day’s pampering from yoga at sunrise to massage under the stars. Junior Smiths, there's a kids' treatment menu too.
Food and drink at Alila Villas Soori
- Hotel restaurant Begin each day with an adventurous, tasting-style breakfast (and a carefully considered range of teas and coffee) at casual, open-air Coast. For lunch and dinner, the talented chef rustles up a range of authentic Indonesian dishes, cooked with precision. Ombak is a little more fancy, designed with romantic dinners in mind. Start with sunset cocktails and nibbles from the special snack menu, then eplore the European-influenced tasting menu, matched with wine and cocktails.
- Dress code Skip the stilettos in favour of Havaianas topped with cool kaftans or a simple sarong over swimwear. There is no sign of LV or the like on this beach; instead it’s all about effortless chic.
- Top table Come well before sunset to snag one of the two beachfront tables at Coast; dine under the stars at Ombak. A table can also be set by the pool at your villa for a romantic, private affair.
- Last orders The official witching hour is 11pm, but night owls have nothing to fear; Alila Villas Soori’s service-minded staff will feed hungry guests at any hour.
- Room service Prefer not to leave your pleasure palace? Room service – from the restaurant menus or specially requested comfort food, like pasta and burgers – can be delivered 24/7.
- Hotel bar More lounge than bar, the informal Drift resembles the living room in the beach house of one’s most enviable friends – slip-covered couches and comfy chairs on a weathered wood floor, plenty of sunlight and the added bonus of air-conditioning inside make it the ideal spot to escape the sun. Sit back and plan the following day with an iced tea in hand, although you could always opt for the Long Island version or the Haven II, a warm vanilla-bourbon tea infused with Cognac, fennel seed, cardamom and honey. The latest style bibles are piled high for guests’ delectation or borrow a laptop to check your Facebook while nibbling on a Balinese spiced duck burger or chocolate soufflé.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details